AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Auto-tagging of Gmail Sponsored Promotions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

We are running a GSP campaign and have a linked GA account with Auto-tagging turned on... 

My question is does Auto-tagging work for GSP?  If so, does that include the URL of the CTA button?

Thanks in advance.

JC

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Auto-tagging of Gmail Sponsored Promotions

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon -

I'm running GSP campaigns and see the data in Analytics just fine with auto-tagging. The destination pages in Analytics are indeed the destination or landing page of your CTA button or ad itself, and function just like the destination or landing page URL of standard text or image ads.

Hope that helps!

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Jon,

As Rosie rightly mentioned here, for GSP all your analytics data is going to be on the website Landing page that opens up when a user clicks on your ad within the Gmail Environment. As for the traffic itself, you will not be able to identify a users visit as GSP. Me and colleagues have ran a GSP campaign and tried looking at traffic data in GA and we were surprised to see that GSP traffic is termed as Direct traffic there. We were able to do this differentiation because we had a separate 'ThankYou' page specifically tagged as a GSP page.

So if you do not have a separate 'Thank you' page, I suggest you get one made for better analysis of your traffic from GSP (it should help).

Other than this, I am guessing that you are already aware that you do not get any data on the GSP creative (heat maps, user behaviour on the Creative, etc.) as the Creative opens in a GMail Environment. So any type of tracking code will not work here as long as the user has moved to your landing page.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Shasank-

It looks like you know a thing or two about GSP. In 2016 - it is necessary to manually tag my GSP landing page URLS with UTM codes - or will Google Adwords autot-agging work?