AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Auto-tagging and Manual tagging

[ Edited ]
MWA
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
MWA
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

If one is using auto-tagging and also manual tagging (in url i.e utm_campaign, utm_content, utm_source...)

Data in Google Analytics will be duplicated or not?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MWA
September 2015

Re: Auto-tagging and Manual tagging

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

WasiAnsari wrote:

Hi,

If one is using auto-tagging and also manual tagging (in url i.e utm_campaign, utm_content, utm_source...)

Data in Google Analytics will be duplicated or not?

It is always recommended to use one technique at a time so as to get the proper tracking and reporting for your accounts. That's my understanding. Talking specifically about Auto Tagging here, I would advice to use the auto tagging feature so that your URLs are automatically tagged and you get better reporting insights under Google Analytics for your Adwords campaigns.

Read more about this here : http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1733663

Pankaj

MWA
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
MWA
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pankaj.

Thank you for answering.

I have another related question

If I use kw={keyword} will it also count as manual tagging?

Or only utm_term=(keyword) ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello,

I would suggest you to follow the Google URL Builder for tagging your URLs manually. I use it quite often for Non Adwords campaigns for better Google Analytics insights.

Pankaj

MWA
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
MWA
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I need to use kw={keyword}

And I want to know either it will count as manual tagging or only utm_term=(keyword) will count as manual tagging?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

WasiAnsari wrote:
I need to use kw={keyword}

And I want to know either it will count as manual tagging or only utm_term=(keyword) will count as manual tagging?

I am not sure the way you are asking here, but if you use Google URL builder, it definitely works with Google Analytics and provide you more info.

Similarly, there's another advanced methodology called Value Track. If you use the value track parameters (eg: {keyword}), they also work with Google Analytics for more insight reporting. Read about it in this article.

Pankaj

MWA
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
MWA
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am using conversion tracking on my website.

They need kw={keyword} in url instead utm_term={keyword}

Now the question is if I use kw={keyword} to fulfill their needs and also auto-tagging will this create discrepency in data or not?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I think I answered it in my first post on this thread...
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MWA
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi WasiAnsari,

If you use utm_term={keyword} along with autotagging then it will show discrepancy in data but if you use kw={keyword}  then there wont be any problem.

Hope that clears your doubt!

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

Perfect answer by Neha

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog