AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Auto tagging and CRMs

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Community,

I am in the process of redesigning the way we tag destination URLs in my company and wondering how we treat auto tagging feature of AdWords.

The problem is that when leads come through auto-tagged AdWords campaigns, we cannot record UTM parameters in our CRM, SFDC, for:

• There is no way to decipher gclid attached by AdWords
  • Such leads do not contain UTM parameters in __utmz

Since Google discourages the simultaneous use of auto tagging and manual tagging (http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1012047), we end up with the following options:

• Do not use auto tagging and manually tag all URLs just like with non-AdWords campaigns
  • Use auto tagging, manually tag URLs with non-UTM parameters (e.g. source instead of utm_source), and record these parameters into the CRM for leads from AdWords campaigns

Is my understanding correct? If we take the first option, do we need to import AdWords click / cost data via GA API just as with non-AdWords channels?

Thanks in advance,

Rion

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Auto tagging and CRMs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rion,

In your case, I would encourage you to use Value Track parameters provided by Adwords and you can use it to integrate with your CRM as well as per my understanding.

This article should help you moving on: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en&

Also Nik has written an informative article on these scenarios. You might be interested in reading that as well:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Adwords-Integration-with-Lead-Management-Syste...

Happy Reading!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for a quick reply. Yes, ValueTrack is an attractive option if we decide to go manual tagging, but it would be great if we can keep auto tagging as well, because of AdWords-Analytics integration.

What Nik's article describes is pretty much what we do now. We read UTM parameters with Javascript, store them into a session variable, then call SFDC API to record them when a visitor registers.

Thanks,

Rion

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rionaoki
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi rionaoki,

Google discourages the use of auto-tagging and manual tagging together because it could result in double reporting your results. If you use the UTM parameters, the data ends up in Traffic Sources/Advertising. If you use auto-tagging, the data ends up in the AdWords section. If you use both, the data ends up in both places.

Since it's your Javascript that captures the UTM parameter values, I would suggest you use variable names that do not have the UTM prefix. That way you can read the values but it won't result in double reporting of clicks and conversion in the GA interface.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Pete,

Yeah, tha'ts what I thought. It appears that this is only way that auto tagging and manual tagging can coexist piecefully. Thanks for confirmation Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Rion

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

HI 

I belive this thread is closed but here are my 2 cents

1. Reading URL parameters altho is a simple way of doing this and with help of value track you can auto populate urls without using utm parameters like rather than using UTM_TERM you can use keyword= that will work nicely with autotagging.

2. I personally like to ingegrate CRM in following way

Set up a custom variable for your each lead (I am assuming its about leads)

Then use google analytics API to pull data for that each leadID like source, keyword etc. 

And Push it back in your CRM DB. 

One more way described by Sir cutroni is http://cutroni.com/blog/2009/03/18/updated-integrating-google-analytics-with-a-crm/ but with this you dont get campaign level data for paid search if campaigns are autotagged.

You can read more about custom variables at https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingCustomVariables

@ Pankaj : thanks for mentioning my article

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Nik,

Your comment is very much appreciated.

1. Reading URL parameters altho is a simple way of doing this and with help of value track you can auto populate urls without using utm parameters like rather than using UTM_TERM you can use keyword= that will work nicely with autotagging.

Yes, that's what I am thinking. Use non-utm parameters plus auto tagging for AdWords campaigns and utm parameters for non-AdWords campaigns.

2. I personally like to ingegrate CRM in following way

Set up a custom variable for your each lead (I am assuming its about leads)

Then use google analytics API to pull data for that each leadID like source, keyword etc. 

And Push it back in your CRM DB. 

Do you mean that when a customer registers (we are in the recruiting business) assign an ID to him or her and store it into both CRM and GA, then pull associated data from GA and put it into CRM? That sounds really attractive.

Thanks,

Rion

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rionaoki
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Rion

1. When customer registers on your website i am sure your system gives the user unique ID
  2. With Help of custom variables you can push that ID to GA 
  3. Then pull data back for source/medium etc along with each id at end of day and push it in your CRM

Its Kinda complecated but it works like charm Smiley Happy

Hope this helps

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you again. I will work with my engineers to make that happen Smiley Happy - Rion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi theniks, very interesting. Can you share the code for doing this?