AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Auction and value track parameter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does anyone know if I have 2 keywords on the same match type but within the destination URL, the ifmobile parameter is different (i.e. different domain) and the ifnotmobile parameter is the same (i.e. same domain), will these 2 keywords compete with itself or do they act like they are competitors because the main domain is different?

Usually a keyword on the same match type and the same url are competing with itself or the same keyword and match type but different domains are acting like competitors but not competing with itself. I'm not sure in the above case.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Auction and value track parameter

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Ebiquity,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

If both the campaigns are targeting the same location and ads are scheduled to run during the same time, these keywords would compete with each other, irrespective of the domain they lead to. This is because they're referring to the same product/service.

Thanks,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

Thanks for your response. I am a little confused because normally, we would not say that a keyword (same match type, targeting location and no ad scheduling applied) is competing with itself if the domains are different, because a company may have very different domain urls but similar products / service. Is this not correct?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Keywords are matched  to search queries, and the "winning" KW  triggers the ad (if ad-rank is high enough to win a slot).  

Matching a keyword to a search query happens prior to triggering the ad. The URL is part of the ad - hence, similar keywords compete regardless to the URL  in the ad-text.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi,

When similar keywords enter an auction, AdWords system checks their individual quality scores and bid amounts to calculate ad ranking. Keyword with highest ad ranking would achieve the top position and the rest achieve other lower positions as per their rankings. Hence, similar keywords (same match types) would certainly compete against each other, irrespective of the domain they lead to. Please go through this article and this one too, written by our top contributors.

Hope that clarifies the confusion Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you MosheTLV and Sumanth. Your responses have helped a lot.