AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Auction Insights - why is Google.com showing as an advertiser for my keywords?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My Auction Insights report is telling me that Google.com is taking 11% of the impression share and outranking us by Avg. Position.

AuctionInsights_Google.png

What exactly does this mean?  I thought Auction Insights would only show competing advertisers.

Is Google somehow competing for my ads?

To give a little background/context:  This account is for a t-shirt site and the campaign has keywords related to music shirts. I can't imagine Google or any of its properties competing for music t-shirts. 

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jason

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Re: Auction Insights - why is Google.com showing as an advertiser for my keywords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

I don't think Google proper is competing with you. The column in question is "Display URL domain" which refers to the visible URL included in the participant’s ad copy. Google.com may cover a huge number of web properties owned by Google, like mail.google.com or google.com/maps etc. Chances are that a competitor of yours is sending ad traffic to one of such Google properties for some weird reason, most probably because there is something there that he wishes to display to his audience.

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Re: Auction Insights - why is Google.com showing as an advertiser for my keywords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

I don't think Google proper is competing with you. The column in question is "Display URL domain" which refers to the visible URL included in the participant’s ad copy. Google.com may cover a huge number of web properties owned by Google, like mail.google.com or google.com/maps etc. Chances are that a competitor of yours is sending ad traffic to one of such Google properties for some weird reason, most probably because there is something there that he wishes to display to his audience.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos,

Interesting, thanks for your feedback.

To give you a little more context/background, my account is for an online t-shirt store and the campaign this Insight is from is related to music shirts.

I can't imagine why any Google properties would be trying to attract a music t-shirt crowd.

Is there a way to find specifically what keywords from my campaign Google is competing for without checking each keyword's Auction Insights 1-by-1?

Thanks for your help,

Jason

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jason,

Based on your additional input, I am almost sure it should be a G+ page on plus.google.com that is associated with your line, i.e. some kind of shirts. A random example could be this:
https://plus.google.com/+Tshirtsubway/posts

Every one has competitors and you are not an exception.... Smiley Happy

Your query is much appreciated.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ah OK, must be a G+ page. That makes sense. Great info, thanks a bunch Lakatos.