AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Auction Insight Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I sometimes see on my Auction Insight report, where I have a good Avg position (below 3), but a pretty low Top of page rate.

For example please see the following screenshot.

SS auction insight.jpg

AFAIK the top page ads are those ranked 1-3, so if we have an avg position of 1,9 that means most of the time the ads should appear on the top page. 

Anyone can share their experience on this? 

Best Regards,

Hero Wijayadi

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author blackkaviar
September 2015

Re: Auction Insight Report

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Blackviar,

That, unfortunately is the nature of statistics, they can be very misleading. Here there are a number of factors that you need to understand in order to see how this is playing out.

Firstly, if you were in pos 1 30% of the time and pos 4 70% of the time that would give you an average position of 3.1. That is the best position given you top of page stats.

So you are obviously asking how can you have an avg pos of 1.9? Well in order to understand that you need to realise that while the top of page can be pos 1-3, if adwords does not fell that your ad is relevant enough but in pos 2/3 it will be on the left. Top of page can be up to a maximum of 3 ads, but is not always the case. So you could be in position 2 100% of the time and still only have top of page rate of 30%.

Hope this helps

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

" if adwords does not fell that your ad is relevant enough but in pos 2/3 it will be on the left."

bp0v1.jpg

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Other left! Other Left!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's should be right Smiley Happy
But I got the point.
Thanks Clynton. That makes much more sense now.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

One other subtle corner of this problem : impressions on mobiles have a position "on the right" ? How is "right hand side" avg. pos. defined for mobiles ?

It is best to look in the Auction Insights at the breakdown of avg. pos. per devices with the button "Segment".

Also read from here how positions 1 to 3 can also be on the right (or below organic results)

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2011/04/understanding-average-position-metric.html

"This means that an ad in auction position 1 will always be the first ad shown on the page, but it can occur in two possible page positions: as the first ad above the search results or as the first ad on the right-hand side when there are no ads above the search results"