AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Assisted conversions from Analytics not showing in AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Here is my situation:

AdWords - 4 "normal" conversions, 2 click assisted conversions and 3 impression assisted conversions.

Analytics - In Conversions > Multi-Channel Funnels > Assisted Conversions, when I click "Paid Search", then select "AdWords Campaign" as secondary dimention and look at my AdWords campaign - I have 8 conversions there.

Again in Analytics - In Aquisition > Campaigns, for my AdWords campaign I'm seeing 5 transactions.

Can someone please explain to me how this works, and how I should be tracking my conversions. For example, if I have 8 assisted conversions in Analytics and 5 transactions in aquisition > campaigns, does that mean I have total of 13 conversions?

In AdWords, in Tools > Conversions I tried using different attribution models for my imported action, but it doesn't make any difference.

Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

One thought is that the conversion discrepancy between platforms may be related to the variation in the time conversions are attributed. Here is a good article that describes this concept as well as other differences in tracking: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2679221?hl=en

Also note that assisted conversions differ between the platforms. In it's simplest form, a click assisted conversion in AdWords means that a user clicked an ad, didn't convert, then clicked another ad and converted. In Google Analytics, using the default last non-direct click attribution model, an assisted conversion for AdWords means that someone clicked an ad, left the site, then returned to the site via a channel other than direct and purchased. The difference is that in Analytics, a paid search assisted conversion can happen when a user clicks an ad only once; in AdWords a user must have multiple clicks before a conversions for an assisted conversion to be tracked.

Hope that helps,

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Like @JimVaillancourt said, there is a difference in how the platforms attribution models. Are you comparing analytics goals to imported goals as conversions in AdWords, or are you using AdWords conversion code for AdWords conversions? If the real concern is how many total conversions AdWords generated, there is more to it than assisted conversion counts between interfaces.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thank you for the explanation, but it's not quite what I was looking for. My original question was this - "For example, if I have 8 assisted conversions in Analytics and 5 transactions in aquisition > campaigns, does that mean I have total of 13 conversions?".

I can follow my conversions either in Analytics or AdWords, doesn't make a huge difference, but I need to know how to count my conversions in order to find out if I'm getting my money back from ads or not.

Cheers

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi,

If the goal is to accurately measure conversions, is there a reason that you aren't using the Conversions > Attribution > Model Comparison Tool report? You can pick whatever attribution model you feel is most accurate to measure conversions by campaign.

Secondly, is there a reason that you are combining conversions from two different reports? Can you help me understand why you aren't combining 'Assisted Conversions' and 'Last Click or Direct Conversions' from the Conversions > Multi-Channel Funnels > Assisted Conversions report?

Ultimately there will be issues in combining the reports you mentioned due to differences in the attribution models.

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

In the Model Comparison Tool I'm seeing the same value for Conversions, no matter which model I choose (first click, last click, linear, etc).

Here is what I'm seeing in Conversions > Multi-Channel Funnels > Assisted Conversions:

- Assisted Conversions: 11

- Assisted Conversion Value: $144.43

- Last Click or Direct Conversions: 4

- Last Click or Direct Conversion Value: $52.52

And here is the data in Aquisition -> AdWords -> Campaigns:

- Transactions: 6

- Revenue: $78.78

Let's say that I decide to follow only these numbers reported in Analytics. Does it mean that I have 11+4+6 = 21 conversions in total, with a combined value of $144+$52+$78=$274?

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

6 transactions, and $78.78 revenue.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You are saying that I should ignore the other 15 assisted conversions?

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

That's why you have to do the analysis. Start at the top level in analytics, and verify that the total reported transactions and revenue are accurate according to your back end. If so, then the revenue generated from a reported source, is the total actual revenue that source generated.

If, for reporting reasons, you want to include the total assisted conversion value as the total value of the source, you can do that. But, if you are reporting more revenue than the client knows the business actually generated, they are going to question where you got those numbers from. If you know what the actual revenue generated is, and which report accurately reflects that, then you know where to find out if the advertising is actually generating a profit or not.

Tom