AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Assisted Conversions Attribution

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All

I am curious to further understand that attribution of conversions, within the "assisting devices" report under "cross-device activity" in the Attribution section of AdWords.

Am I correct in assuming that AdWords doesn't know which channel the final conversion came from (it knows AdWords, but it doesn't know organic or email for example, because it is not tracking this as Google Analytics would); it only knows to fire when its conversion tag is triggered (irrespective of what path the user took that lead to the conversion)? Provided you aren't stipulating that your AdWords tag is only fired when the conversion's source is AdWords, can I then assume that click-assisted and impression-assisted conversions can also include conversions from other channels (such as organic or email)? 

Thanks in advance,

Anje

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Assisted Conversions Attribution

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Anje,

The click-assisted and impression-assisted conversions in the assisting devices section shows you when a user interacted with multiple adverts (either viewed or clicked) before completing a conversion.

So for example;

If I went on mobile and clicked one of your adverts but didn't convert, then went to desktop, clicked one of your adverts and converted there instead, mobile would get a click assisted conversion.

Here's the full article explaining everything if you'd like to read more - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6359141/?hl=en-GB&authuser=0

Hope this helps,

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anje H
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Anje,

If I talk specifically about Assisting Devices Report that you find in AdWords, it is based only on AdWords. That is how many times a user interacted with your ad using multiple devices and then finally converted. Please don't mix it with Multi channel funnels report that we have in Google Analytics. That report gives you insights from all channels.
Here you can find more details around attribution reports:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722023?hl=en

My 2 cents!
Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, Pankaj - I realise that I over-thought this completely and needed to get back to basics, with exactly what you have mentioned above. Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, Matthew - turns out I needed to go back to basics, that AdWords only reports on AdWords data (as Pankaj highlighted for me below). Smiley Happy