AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Are there standard benchmarks for CTR and CPC?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are there standard benchmarks for CTR and CPC? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are there standard benchmarks for CTR and CPC?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi barrylohman and welcome to the forum.  The short answer?  "No".

The long answer...  No, there are no standards for these percentages; each Account is different and what is good for one will be poor for another and vice-versa.  This is certainly true of CPC.  Click costs can be anything from a few pennies to tens (or even hundreds) of dollars and everywhere inbetween, it all depends on the business.

With CTR it's a little more defined.  There are CTRs that I could be almost certain could be improved and others that I'd be more than happy with.  For example, if you were advertising on the Search network only and had a CTR of just 1%, I'd be pretty confident that could be improved - regardless of your business.  On the other hand if you said it was 40%, I'd be very doubtful it could be improved (in fact I'd be rather suspicious of it).

If you're using the Display Network there's actually a column that can tell you how you're doing in terms of CTR compared to the competition - Relative CTR.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not sure if you're still looking, but here are some CTR benchmarks that may be helpful: http://www.richmediagallery.com/resources/benchmarks/

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Whilst it is always fun to compare... these comparisons can be misleading and damaging.

Part of the problem is that you are comparing something which, at the end of the day, is pretty meaningless.

Let's say you and I both spend $1 per click - what does that mean? All it means is that we both spend $1 per click. Nothing more. Does that mean that our campaigns are somehow "equal"? No, of course not.

And what about CTR... if your CTR is 4% and mine is 2% - does that mean you are doing twice as well as me? Does it mean you are getting twice the traffic, or the same traffic for half the cost? Actually, none of these....

As Jon suggests, there are ranges that we can be "happy" with - and others that should prove to be red flags on certain accounts, but generally the key is finding the sweet spot where what you are paying for clicks is giving you the best ROI - and this rarely happens if you simply get into a spitting contest....

Aggressive bidding to ensure top positions for all searches may make an advertiser feel like they are beating the competition - but it's a short lived illusion.

Remember there is always someone who is prepared to spend harder to go out of business faster than you.