AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Are Google Shopping and Product Listing Ads being combined in Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently migrated our Google Shopping feeds into a PLA campaign, as per the new changes in how ads work on Google.  As expected, we saw a jump in the traffic for our PLA campaign.  We expected a related drop off in Google Shopping traffic and conversions, but we are only seeing a large drop off in conversions - the Google Shopping traffic isn't going down.  Is anyone else experiencing this, and if so (or not), does anyone know if Analytics is somehow batching both campaigns together, creating the illusion of steady Google Shopping traffic, or is something else going on?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are Google Shopping and Product Listing Ads being combined in Google Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi GHCJR,

How are you identifying Google Shopping visits?

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Are Google Shopping and Product Listing Ads being combined in Google Analytics?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Are you guys using the adwords_redirect function? There may be a conflict between Google using the GCLID and the tagging you are manually doing: http://support.google.com/merchants/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188479

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We, too, have now made the transititon to PLAs for Google Shopping and it has been a disaster. We are getting tons and tons of clicks, but ZERO conversions. Part of the problem is related to the poor performance of Google Search. We have run reports for keywords that led to clicks and they are so broad and untargeted that they are essentially worthless. We had one click come from a search term for a specific product we don't even carry. There is no way that Google Search should have displayed any of our ads for that search term. Google tried to sell everyone that the new PLAs for Google Shopping would yield better quality traffic. It's not even close!

So, we are having to go in every day and review the search terms report from the previous day and spend forever adding negative keyword after negative keyword. The problem is that this will never end because negative keywords can have infinite possibilties, and if you go too specfic in defining the negative keyword, you might cause Google to not display a relevant ad. This is just the opposite from how it should be. You should be able to define the keywords you want, as in a regular Adwords campaign. You should not have to devote your life to adding negative keywords to try and get conversions. The worst part of the "trial and error" method of refining your PLAs is that you are paying for 1000s of worthless clicks just to find out what to exclude in the negative keywords.

Right now we have over 600 clicks in the past 5 days with the PLAs for Google Shopping. The number of conversions? - ZERO. In fact, I was suspecting that Adwords just wasn't recording coversions because we have never seen 600 clicks, even poorly targeted, that didn't lead to at least a few conversions. So, my wife went in to Google Shopping and ran a very specific search query for one of our products, clicked through and did a test ad on our site. The bad news is that it worked and did show the only conversion we have to date. I was hoping it wouldn't and we would learn that we really were getting conversions but they just weren't showing up. Anyway, I am more frustrated with these PLAs than you can imagine and am looking at new and different sources of traffic now as it appears that Google will no longer work for us.