AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Applying call tracking to 2 different phone numbers on the same page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was wondering if you can apply Adwords call tracking to two different numbers on the same webpage?

If I wanted to use Google Forwarding numbers for two different phone numbers on the same page (one for each branch); is this possible using the implementation outlined in support: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722054#calls_from_websites

In the example, it says you add the following code:

<body onload="_googWcmGet('number', '1-800-123-4567')">
  <span class="number">1-800-123-4567</span>
</body>

If you need to apply this code to two different phone numbers; how would you go about it?

Also, when the support page states "To get started, you'll need an active call extension", does it just mean a phone number which works, or is it referring to the 'extensions' function in Adwords?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Applying call tracking to 2 different phone numbers on the same pa

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sean,

To the best of my knowledge, what I understood from this new feature introduced recently is that you could track the Phone calls originating from Google ad when the user clicked on your ad and reached your landing page. By this new feature, your Business number is replaced by Google forwarding number.

So in this case, it is actually independent of what number you are showing on your Landing Page. It will show the Google forwarding number and when users calls that number, it will be re-routed to your business phone number which you have actually used while creating call extension in your AdWords account.

So, you might try ad group level call extension since you want to track 2 separate Business phone numbers and when those ads are shown to the users, Google will automatically allocate different forwarding number to those ones and I believe that those numbers will be replaced by your Business phone number when that user lands on your landing page.

I hope this helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for your response.

My understanding is the same as yours in the first part of your answer:

pankaj1782 wrote:

Hi Sean,

To the best of my knowledge, what I understood from this new feature introduced recently is that you could track the Phone calls originating from Google ad when the user clicked on your ad and reached your landing page. By this new feature, your Business number is replaced by Google forwarding number.

So in this case, it is actually independent of what number you are showing on your Landing Page.

In the support page I linked to it talks through the steps required to display a Google forwarding number in place of your own business number. It appears that you add conversion tracking code to your webpage as you would with any Adwords tracking; then you include additional code which replaces your number with the Google forwarding number. These steps are applicable when replacing one phone number.

I'm asking whether it's possible to replace two phone numbers on the same landing page?

Also, I don't think it's clear whether you have to use the 'Extensions' feature for this to work. It sounds like it may work if someone clicks on a PPC ad; irrespective of whether there is a phone number in that ad. I'm not sure if "active call extension" is referring to a business phone number which works, i.e. one which is active or the actual 'Extensions' feature in Adwords.

Sean.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sean,

Sean C wrote:

Also, I don't think it's clear whether you have to use the 'Extensions' feature for this to work. It sounds like it may work if someone clicks on a PPC ad; irrespective of whether there is a phone number in that ad. I'm not sure if "active call extension" is referring to a business phone number which works, i.e. one which is active or the actual 'Extensions' feature in Adwords.

Sean.

Active Call Extension is definitely the one which you are either already using or you need to create one to record the phone call details inside AdWords account for the users who clicked your ad and reaches the landing page where the same Google forwarding number will be displayed.

I am sure about it because I am using this feature currently, but for a single Business Phone number.

Also during single ad auction process, how would you attribute 2 different phone numbers (using Google forwarding number) to one ad because as per my understanding this is one- to- one functionality in conjunction with what you are using as a call extension. That's why I posted about using ad group level call extension if you want to display a separate phone number.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pankaj.

When I talk about two different business numbers, I'm talking about two different numbers on the landing page, as opposed to two different numbers in an ad.

If I set up two different call extensions - one for each number, and associate each number with a different ad group, I'm left with one remaining issue: How to implement the Google forwarding code for two separate numbers on the same landing page.

Would the following line of code have to be repeated?

<body onload="_googWcmGet('number', '1-800-123-4567')">

Could you cocatenate the code, or would there be a second line of code which references a 'number2' or equivalent?

Sean.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
I'm not certain about the code, but you certainly do have to have Google call forwarding number call extensions enabled.

How are the phone numbers implemented? Do you have a menu or the whatnot for each number, or are they both in the header, etc.?
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

Both phone numbers would be in the body of the landing page, as there would be one phone number for each branch.

Sean.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sean, just wondering if you ever this figured out....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Re: Applying call tracking to 2 different phone numbers on the same page

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.