AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Anyone using Marketo? How are you currently tracking Adwords...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello all,

Do any of you use Marketo to facilitate your lead lifecycle process? If so, how are you tracking leads that come in through adwords.

Originally, we were tracking based on URL paramaters -- ie: UTM source, medium, campaign.

We're finding (through Google Analytics) that people sometimes have to visit 2 or more pages before they convert at a later time -- ultimately losing that prospect because we lost their tracking.

I know there is a solution through tracking in the Marketo cookie...

Does anyone have this same problem/ is working on a current solution?

Let me know.

Best,

JP

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Anyone using Marketo? How are you currently tracking Adwords...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jean!

My first advice is not to use utm parameters on AdWords, using auto-tagging that will collect a lot more of data, compared to manual UTM, if this is your case:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1733663

I don't know Marketo but Analytics will track user for a default 6 months (configurable to a max of 24 months on Universal Analytics) and you will be able to track several visits using Analytics multi-channel funnels:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1191180

..if you setup it properly.

In some cases you can track registered users in Analytics across different devices:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3234673?hl=en

Don't know Marketo, but Analytics is the best you will get, at least for free. :-)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jean Philippe R
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi JP,

A very good question. I have faced a similar problem in the past ( not with a Marketo based account). I was able to get this fixed by implementing cross domain cookie tracking.

I am not sure how relevant it will be to your case but I will try and elaborate and then maybe you can translate the same at your end in Marketo.

Basically, we had coded our pages to store the visiting users cookie data in a separate cookie altogether and pass the same on from page to page wherever the user traverses through and when finally the user converts, the cookie data was used to identify the user as an AdWords lead.

I am not much of a coder but I understand the logic behind this idea and it seems to have worked for us. Maybe you can translate this idea in Marketo and custom code your pages to execute these steps and see if this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Shashank,

This is exactly the idea I was looking for. We were able to get our hands on some documentation on setting it up.

Essentially, the URL parameters get stored in a cookie and follows a user as they bounce around on the site -- once they submit a form, the information will be read from the cookie and passed through the form!

Now, onto coding it up.

Thanks!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Jean,

Sounds perfect. I may be able to get some more details from my tech team if you are facing issues in implementing the logic. Let me know.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi JP,

Even we are trying the same thing. We are using marketo to track the specific keywords that are used for searching the ads present in the Adgroup and would get the keyword track into marketo. We have added the URL parameter in Adwords at campaign level. Kindly let me know if its the right process and should we need to do anything else in Marketo.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

You may of course reference this older thread in your new post, if you wish.

Thank you.