AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Any difference between pay per clicks and CPV for In-Display Ads ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

As I understand an In-Display Video Ad (TrueView) it does not seem to be too much a "view" since the user simply clicks a thumbnail image and I get charged from millisecond 1 as the video starts to play in its watch page .

I am asking : for the In-Display format, are we charged for a "view" after the "click" on the thumbnail, or after at least a few seconds, when the Video (which we set to be the Ad) starts to play ? If the count of a view for In-Display is after some seconds ,then how many seconds ?

If we are charged right away from millisecond 1 even if the user hits "back" immediately , why is Google calling this type of charging "true-view" and "Cost per view" since it is clearly a "pay per click", like for an image ad ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Any difference between pay per clicks and CPV for In-Display Ads ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,
This is a good point and it confused me too. I believe that in display ads while "true view" do get charged from the first millisecond. Essentially making it CPC. I felt that they left the terminology as per VIEW so as maybe not to confuse people.

I always saw in display as just an extension of the GDN and regular display campaigns.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,
This is a good point and it confused me too. I believe that in display ads while "true view" do get charged from the first millisecond. Essentially making it CPC. I felt that they left the terminology as per VIEW so as maybe not to confuse people.

I always saw in display as just an extension of the GDN and regular display campaigns.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, thanks. So there is no tricky setting to pay for  views with a time-delay for the In-Display Ad.

The terminology is very mixed. The views show as "clicks" in the billing , so the client can easily say "where are my views" ? Smiley Happy

Also in the MCC interface I see early in the morning many "clicks" and a "high CTR" for the Display Network when in fact it is reporting the views from the video campaigns which are the only "display" campaigns that account has , and the "Display network CTR" is the "view rate" (views per impressions not clicks/impressions) . It is like 2 departments worked to design these interfaces without talking to each other at all Smiley Happy

account-runing-only-video-campaigns.png