AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Any data on effectiveness of YouTube ads for music?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I've been using Adwords to promote my YouTube videos that promote my music.  It's been a colossal waste of money over the past couple years - I can get tons of views and likes but, as far as I can tell, the Adwords campaigns are useless for actually generating revenue.

So here's the question: does it work for anybody?

Does anyone know of any resources/data for effectiveness of using Adwords to promote music via YouTube?

Thanks in advance,

rgames

Re: Any data on effectiveness of YouTube ads for music?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Richard,

Are you receiving great sales from other media channels?  AdWords and YouTube are great channels to put your products in front of a audience during moments of relevance, but the products will not automatically lead to sales.  Often times advertisers have to refine and optimize their Campaigns over time to reach their desired level of return.  Also, from my understanding, the music industry as a whole is seeing a decline in that customers are paying less and less for music, and listening to music via other channels such as Spotify, Pandora, and Google Play.  That being said, how are you urging people to buy your music?  What YouTube ad formats are you using?  What kind of call-to-action are you using?   

Re: Any data on effectiveness of YouTube ads for music?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Brian - thanks for the reply.

Yes, people are spending less and less on music. And no, I don't think I get many sales from other means of promotion (the vast majority of my income comes from music licensing). But that's the genesis of my question: in general, how successful are Adwords campaigns used to promote music? In my group of friends who are also composers/songwriters/musicians I'm the only one who's tried using Adwords (and it has failed) but I don't know if my experience is typical or if my approach is not a good one. Maybe it only works for certain genres; maybe you need to exclude people with certain characteristics identifiable with keywords; maybe it doesn't matter and it almost never works...!

My guess is that there are people who have collected lots of information about Adwords effectiveness. I'm curious if anyone has looked specifically at using Adwords to sell music.

Regarding formats and urging people to buy the music, I use the in-display format and include CTA overlays and, more recently, cards with links to my music on iTunes, Amazon, CDBaby, etc.

Thanks,

rgames