AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics tracking code changed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We've been using a certain tracking code for the past couple of years on a site.  At some point in the past month or two, all of our analytics data has disappeared, and the site now shows zero visits ever.  We were tracking visits for quite a while without issues.

I went to the page where you get your tracking code, and the tracking ID is a completely different number than it was before.  The page also says that our site is not currently set up to track.  

Does anyone have any idea why that might happen or what we might do to fix this?  Is it possible to get all of that tracking data back that's missing?

Thanks!

Steve

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics tracking code changed?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Squares,

It sounds to me like you have inadvertently created a new Analytics account. The tracking number should not change, each profile in the account will have the same UA-123456- code, the number following the last hyphen is unique to the profile.

If you are seeing a different code than is on your pages, it sure seems like you have created a second account. You have two choices: find someone with access to the correct Analytics account and restore your access to that account or go forward with the new account.

Analytics now allows multiple accounts with a single login. Click on the "All Accounts" button at the top left of the page, then click on "Account List". See if the older account is listed there. If it is, select that account. You should find all your data there.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords