AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics reporting visits from paused AdWords Campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

Google Analytics has started showing visits from paused AdWords campaigns, the same period shows no visits in AdWords.

The unusual visits all report a cost of zero, however some visits result in transactions. 

Running a test report shows visits from paused AdWords campaigns, however a printout of the same report printed last Monday (10 - june) doesn't show the visits.

Does any one have any ideas / know of any changes which could cause the change in visits running the report on the 10th of june and running it again on the 17th of june?

Re: Analytics reporting visits from paused AdWords Campaigns

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Peter ! Welcome to the Community !

Analytics is tracking also visits from organic / refferal / direct sources. Are you sure you monitored only paid visits in the same time-frame when ALL the campaigns were paused ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep only source/medium: Google/CPC, and traffic: Paid

The same report I ran last monday with the same parameters, just with a different result.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I mean did you navigate to Traffic Sources / Advertising / Adwords / Campaigns to check the exact campaign-to-campaign data from adwords and analytics ?

Is only one campaign receiving visits or many ? 

I think if 2-3 days have passed since this incident , there is no longer a problem of slow import of data from analytics to adwords. You can only ask a Google tech support person to look into this , using the phone or email suport :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Cheers, I'll Give Tech Support A Try,

also its quite a few campaigns (25)

they are reported as generating visits in Traffic Sources / Advertising / Adwords / Campaigns as well as my custom reports.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

In Google Analytics this can happen with returning visitors that are direct visitor.
Visitors originally referred by a campaign are now returning as direct visitors

Generally speaking, the campaign cookie is updated anytime the visitor arrives at your site via a search engine, referring website, or campaign tagged URL. Direct traffic, however, never updates or replaces an existing campaign source such as a search engine, referring site, or campaign-tagged information.

http://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Its a thought but the visitors would have had to arrived on the sight two weeks ago to be within the date range, but not have shown up in the report run last week,

The only thing I can think of is that analytics has changed the way it handle visits with keywords that match keywords in multiple campaigns. Such that a visitor clicked the ad for the keyword "foo" in the running campaign "bar" while a paused campaign "barPaused" also has the keyword "foo" in it, causing the visit to flag twice once for "bar" and once for "barPaused".

However Analytics hasn't had any updated recently that could have caused the change, so I'm presuming i've missed something.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I do not totally understand your last post,
But the __utmz cookie has standard a expiration time of 6 month

So if you did not change the standard cookie time for __utmz, you hypothetically could see such a returning visitor after 6 month minus 1 day.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The issue isn't so much seeing a returning visitor,though I believe the campaigns haven't been running since nov-dec last year.

I'm mostly confused as to why the visitors hadn't shown up in any of my previous reports of the same 2 week period.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Are you telling :

Your run the exact same report, same conditions, same period
And you have differend data numbers?

If this is the case, could there be an overseen filter somewhere?
Is it the same profile?