AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics goals and Adwords conversions

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I have a goal set up in Analytics.

That goal became eligible for import into AdWords as a conversion.

I know there are time delays between the two (normally for me it is about 48 hours) so I look at the numbers for January.

The numbers don't tally - not even close.

Google support tell me that this is because AdWords measures conversions differently from Analytics. I know this. But the thing is that in this case the AdWords conversion is an imported Analytics goal - there is no AdWords conversion code involved - so why the big discrepancy?

Anyone seen this - and found a solution?

Thanks

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Analytics goals and Adwords conversions

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi stickleback,

Everything still applies to your situation. The difference is in attribution. AdWords will claim the conversion if it happens within the 30 day window of the AW cookie life. Analytics attributes the conversion to "last source".

So, if the user clicks on your ad and returns to your site to complete a conversion using a bookmark, Analytics will attribute the conversion to Direct traffic while AdWords will attribute the conversion to the appropriate campaign/ad group/keyword.

Looking at the Multi-Channel conversion reports will help resolve some of the differences. Also, make sure you are looking at the same time frame in both systems, and that time frame is after importing the goals.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 15
Top Contributor

Hi Nik,

Ok, I did a little poking around and found this article (forum post). The OP stated that AdWords will only get the attribution of the conversion if the last source was AdWords. But I it appears this applies to Analytics only.

"2. ‘Importing Goals from Analytics’ in AdWords- only reported as AdWords conversion if AdWords click was last click.

e.g.
Organic>AdWords>Direct>Organic= No Conversion in AdWords
Referral> Organic>AdWords= Conversion in AdWords"

Brad replies that is correct. "2. ‘Importing Goals from Analytics’ in AdWords – correct; but for any timeframe assuming cookie is still on computer."

This article.by Google does not confirms this for AdWords. It also says the date of the conversion will be the date of the click in AdWords and the date of the conversion in Analytics. That should help reconcile some of the differences.

In this article Google states, "Only counted if the user has clicked on an ad from the AdWords account (google/cpc traffic ONLY)" and does not say last click or source, only that there was an AdWords click. This is what I was going with. There is s 30 day window for AdWords attribution, which corresponds with the life of the AdWords cookie. I could be wrong about this (it wouldn't be the first time), but, it seems to me it does depend on the AdWords cookie. That's a 3rd Party cookie that goes to Google.

If there is no AdWords cookie present I would expect to see a conversion in Analytics but not in AdWords. Google won't always reveal the mechanisms behind how they do a lot of things--trade secrets and such. I can ask, but I don't know what kind of answer I'll get.

Pete

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steve, probably a silly question, but you're sure none of the reasons in the help file apply?

Discrepancies between Adwords and Analytics conversions

Not even the 1-per-click/many-per-click stuff?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

It's strange...

All of these are related to discrepancies between AdWords conversions (using conversion script) and Analytics goals - I've seen differences there before and (kind of) understand where they come from.

But this issue has been with goals imported from analytics - there really shouldn't be a big difference... I'll monitor for a longer period and see if the difference flatten out.

thanks for your input

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Steve,

If I could jump in, I would also like to raise a point of difference in terms of cookie expiration date that is the way Adwords record data and how Google Analytics cookie update the statistics in your account.

You might be interested in reading this Analytics help center article: http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2679221

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Please jump in!

I understand this - but as I say this should only really apply to an Adwords conversion - not an imported Analytics goal.

If I have a goal set up as a visit to a "thank you" page for example - and on that same page I have an AdWords converison script then, yes, there are a number of reasons there might be discrepancies - but AdWords has no say in the Analytics goals - so if these are then imported directly from Anlytics they should match....

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Are you trying to say that completions for goal1 for example shows a diffrent number in analytics and same goal shows diffrent number when imported in adwords? is that what you are trying to say or are you saying goal1 completions do not match with native adwords conversions.

Just trying to get your question clearly before I can think about it.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

the former - there are no natyive Adwords conversions

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi stickleback,

Everything still applies to your situation. The difference is in attribution. AdWords will claim the conversion if it happens within the 30 day window of the AW cookie life. Analytics attributes the conversion to "last source".

So, if the user clicks on your ad and returns to your site to complete a conversion using a bookmark, Analytics will attribute the conversion to Direct traffic while AdWords will attribute the conversion to the appropriate campaign/ad group/keyword.

Looking at the Multi-Channel conversion reports will help resolve some of the differences. Also, make sure you are looking at the same time frame in both systems, and that time frame is after importing the goals.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

HI petebardo

Thanks for the response but I am a little confused here. Here is a simple use case

• Thankyou Page is set as goal in analytics --> imported to adwords as conversion. There is no adwords conversion code. 
  • ----> where does adwords cocnversion 30 day cookie come in to picture?
  • --------> Adwords conversion cookie doesnt come in to picture, then goals completed via ppc traffic = conversions shown in adwords (with some time delay)

Sorry couldnt really write detailed usecase because of limitations of editor.

But I hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This was my thinking....