AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics conversion data from two websites into one AdWords account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have taken over the management of an AdWords account which is linked to two different web addresses. The two different sites are served by different campaign groups so i think its within Google's rules. 

However, one website has an online shop and so the primary goal is purchases. The second is for the same company but is aimed at the B2B market and doesn't have an online shop so lead generation is the primary goal. My question is.....can I pull in two different conversions (from two different Analytics accounts) that reflect these different priorities (e.g. a purchase conversion for the website that has the online shop and a lead generation conversion for the B2B website?

If not, is the advice to split the management of the ads into two AdWords accounts?

Sorry if the above is a naive question 

Many thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David B
September 2015

Re: Analytics conversion data from two websites into one AdWords accou

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,

Thanks for the additional context! The reason I asked if they could ever be combined into one site was because I've had similar situations where the company sold B2C online but then had a separate B2B division which required offline conversations. The thing is, B2B and B2C customers often search in similar fashion, without identifying themselves as commercial or residential. It would be great if you had a campaign for head terms that could take people to a page where they could select if their request was commercial or residential.

Anyway, I digress. I agree that since there likely will be overlap in the future, the campaigns should be left in the same account. It's not a problem to do so but if the businesses had offered separate services/products, I would have suggested creating a separate account.

If you haven't already, you might consider adding some cross-linking for any stray customers that are sent to one site and have needs that are addressed by the other. You can add google analytics parameters to the end of your links to track performance of referrals from one site to the other. You might still consider cross-domain tracking within your Google Analytics account, if there is a significant amount of traffic that travels from one site to the other but otherwise, I would do exactly as Sumanth said and keep one AdWords account and import goals from two separate Google Analytics accounts.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi David,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

As detailed in the help center, following are the prerequisites to import Analytics Goals into AdWords:

• Your Analytics and AdWords accounts are linked.
  • You've opted into data sharing in your Analytics account.
  • You've enabled auto-tagging in your AdWords account.
  • On a per-type basis, your Analytics Goal or transaction has received active traffic from an AdWords ad at some point.

To link two different Analytics accounts to one AdWords account, you'll have to add your AdWords log in email address as an admin user to both the Analytics accounts. In case one already has, log in to the other and grant admin access. Steps detailed here. Once this is done, you can follow these steps to link the accounts to AdWords. You'd be able to import goals from both the accounts, upon linking.

Hope this helps,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,

I would probably suggest separating the sites into two separate AdWords accounts but I need a little bit more information. There is also the option of using cross-domain tracking in Analytics to pull both sites into the same account but if the sites are entirely different, I probably wouldn't recommend that.

May I ask, how are these two web properties set up as businesses? Are they the same entity or different? Are they selling the same product with one being B2B and one being B2C? Do they bid on any of the same terms? Is there potential for rebuilding one of the websites to include both aspects?

Best,
Amy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy
Thanks for the reply. The two sites are for the same company and cover the same product range. They sell heating products. The one website is aimed at the consumer market and sells via the web. the other site promotes the same product range but is aimed at architects, specifiers and plumbers etc. The second site doesn't sell via the web. At present there isn't much overlap in terms of keywords but there could be more going forward. There's not much likelihood of having one website to serve both sectors as the company has just invested in revamping the new B2B site. Does that help Amy. Any advice would be brilliant. thanks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Where there is a danger of keywords overlapping between the two sites, I would be very careful about setting up two accounts, and would advise against it. Double serving is one of the big no-no's for AdWords and much of the suspension will be automated. Whilst you can probably explain why you have two accounts if you get repeated auto suspensions you may well get a permanent ban for repeated infringements - I wouldn't go down that road.

There is no reason why two sites cannot receive traffic from the same Adwords account... they would normally just do so from different campaigns.

Clearly there is the overlap issue, but you're going to have that issue whether you run one account or two, and at least you eliminate the double serving problem by keeping them under one roof.

There are ways to tell Google that you own both accounts and that they should be treated as one for double serving issues, but I've not had experience of that - maybe others can contribute here. That said, all things being equal, even if you do this you just have two accounts that behave as if they were a single account to all intents and purposes anyway, so the problems you face are going to be the same.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David B
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,

Thanks for the additional context! The reason I asked if they could ever be combined into one site was because I've had similar situations where the company sold B2C online but then had a separate B2B division which required offline conversations. The thing is, B2B and B2C customers often search in similar fashion, without identifying themselves as commercial or residential. It would be great if you had a campaign for head terms that could take people to a page where they could select if their request was commercial or residential.

Anyway, I digress. I agree that since there likely will be overlap in the future, the campaigns should be left in the same account. It's not a problem to do so but if the businesses had offered separate services/products, I would have suggested creating a separate account.

If you haven't already, you might consider adding some cross-linking for any stray customers that are sent to one site and have needs that are addressed by the other. You can add google analytics parameters to the end of your links to track performance of referrals from one site to the other. You might still consider cross-domain tracking within your Google Analytics account, if there is a significant amount of traffic that travels from one site to the other but otherwise, I would do exactly as Sumanth said and keep one AdWords account and import goals from two separate Google Analytics accounts.

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - it is much appreciated

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Happy to help! Thanks for sharing your situation!