AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Analytics Tracking Goals - AdWords only showing SOME goals

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For example, for the first week of this month, we had 990 goal completitions in Analytics. Compare that to AdWords that is showing 46. 

I have fixed this issue in the past, whether it was an account not linked properly, or AdWords being set to only registering 1 goal per user vs. Analytics counting "Every" one but neither of those things are the case here.

I tried to do import the Analytics goals again but there is only one more goal left to import (Smart Goals) and I do not want to import those, and they certainly do not make up for the difference between the numbers I am seeing now.

What could be going wrong here? I know this is probably the most common annoying question here and its generally one of the answers above, but I can't figure this one out. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Are you looking at AdWords goals in Analytics or all goals? Only AdWords goals should be compared. You can see them in the Acquisition > AdWords report, or by segmenting other reports by Paid Search.

Have any imported goals been deleted in AdWords. Change the setting to see "All". 

What type of goals are they?

In AdWords are they set to count one or count many?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@RobSkelton I am looking at AdWords goals in AdWords. Analytic conversions in Analytics. Oddly enough the AdWords report in Analytics will not load. It just says "Loading..." at the top and nothing happens. Not sure if that is related.

No goals have been deleted in AdWords.

They are set to count every goal conversion, not one. 

The goals are anything from a contact form submission, to page view, to image view, to direction lookup. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, I have noticed that most of these goals are tracking as organic or direct. If I specifically go to CPC Goals in Analytics, it matches the AdWords number. However, 90% of the leads seem to be tracking as organic or direct and that seems highly unlikely. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

There are two possibilities.

1. 90% of leads are actually organic or direct

2. Some AdWords visitors are being wrongly counted as organic or direct

In the case of 2, look at Acquisition > AdWords and see if the clicks and sessions roughly match up (there could be a 5-10% variance). If they do, all is fine.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Most are close except one ad group has 82 clicks with 36 sessions. The others are 68 to 77, 34 to 42, and 33 to 36. 

Should I be concerned with the one ad group?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

That one ad group seems suspicious. Look at the final URLs for that period (there's a report for it in Dimensions), and see if any redirect when you put them in your browser. Including going from http to https.