AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics Sessions/Time on Page

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Can someone explain how analytics can record a session, but then have 0 seconds on the page.  Does that mean that the page never loaded?  If so, why is a session recorded?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

Analytics can only measure the time on a page if the visitor moves to another page in the site. If they only visit one page, the data will say zero seconds.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

As @RobSkelton said. If the user bounced the site after visiting a single page, this records nil,  even if the user spent a second or 5  or even  20 sec on that page.

And here is the help article:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1006253?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks guys!  Very helpful.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

A higher bounce rate does not always indicate a bad user experience on the page. Specifically for a one-page site/landing-page, the bounce rate is bound to be higher (obviously because what @RobSkelton said).

While a bounce rate of 100% technically may mean non-engagement, the real scenario may be much different. Isn't the click on an element or a scroll towards the bottom of the page an engagement? 

The default GA code implementation does not give this insight and counts such sessions as bounced. But we can force GA to record events like clicks on elements and scroll. This way, it will decrease bounce rate and the data will speak of real scenario. 

In my experience, a higher bounce rate does affect landing page experience, and even organic performance of a site over a period. 

This is the reason I advise people using one-page sites or landing pages to record interactions like clicks and scrolls.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.