AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics Rule-based Remarketing List Case

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Folks,

I'm recently projecting a remarketing campaign with Analytics rule-based list. It'a job marketing campaign so we want people apply for our job only once..

Everything seems fine: the audience populates fast, we're getting clicks and few conversions. However, the conversions is not exactly what we wanted So I figure my rules could be set incorrectly. Here is my case in details:

So basically I have four URLs to filter out the screen out the right audience:

1. www.example.com/job/index.html
  2. www.example.com/job/2015/new.html
  3. www.example.com/job/2015/application_form.html
  4. www.example.com/job/2015/thank_you.html

Now I want to target all the people who has visited page #1, but never visited #2 and #3 and #4. And I set the rules as below:

Capture2.PNG

Just wondering is it all correct? Do I understand correctly on each term and logic used here like "Sessions", "Page", "Exclude" and "And"?

Since we found there are people who have applied before (which mean they visit #3 or #4 pages) still seen our remarketing ads. If I set all correctly, what any cause else it could be?

Thanks a lot!

Jason

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
September 2015

Re: Analytics Rule-based Remarketing List Case

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jason, how are things?

From what I understood from your filter, this segment is reaching people that ONLY visited step 1, but in this case, you're only excluding people who have reached all other steps, 2, 3 AND 4.

So if you have people that went from 1 to 3 and left the page without reaching step 4, they are being included on your filter.

First thing is to understand if the steps are mandatory (user must pass through them in specific order) or if user can access them through whatever order they want.

For Mandatory steps

If users are required to pass through step 2 in order to get to 3 or 4, you just have to exclude step 2 URL (since everyone that reached step 3 or 4 passed through Step 2 URL).

For NON-mandatory steps

Think you have to use 'OR' statement instead of 'AND', or maybe have a few lists combinations like "exclude step 2 AND step 3" and another list like "exclude step 3 AND 4"

I'm not sure if you can manipulate lists generate from GA side on Adwords. It would be easier for you to do that on Adwords, if it's possible.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jason, I'm glad that this made sense. I see that your filter now exclude all other steps all together, that should do.

I think that at the end of the day, the word for you is to TEST everything out and see the outcome.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jason, how are things?

From what I understood from your filter, this segment is reaching people that ONLY visited step 1, but in this case, you're only excluding people who have reached all other steps, 2, 3 AND 4.

So if you have people that went from 1 to 3 and left the page without reaching step 4, they are being included on your filter.

First thing is to understand if the steps are mandatory (user must pass through them in specific order) or if user can access them through whatever order they want.

For Mandatory steps

If users are required to pass through step 2 in order to get to 3 or 4, you just have to exclude step 2 URL (since everyone that reached step 3 or 4 passed through Step 2 URL).

For NON-mandatory steps

Think you have to use 'OR' statement instead of 'AND', or maybe have a few lists combinations like "exclude step 2 AND step 3" and another list like "exclude step 3 AND 4"

I'm not sure if you can manipulate lists generate from GA side on Adwords. It would be easier for you to do that on Adwords, if it's possible.

Hope this helps.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @leandrofm,

Thanks a lot mate - your suggestion make great sense by giving the example.

In our case, visitors is following NON-mandatory steps. The list size dips 70 percent after I change "AND" to "OR" so I guess it's the right move on narrowing down.

Inspired by your idea, there is another way to do this filter which is put them separately like I did below. The logic here should be "OR" as well. However the list size turns out slightly different, no idea why that is.Capture3.PNG

Personally I don't think remarketing audience is not 100% accurate as we imagined. If anyone has more experience on this, feel free to share how the rules work for you.

Cheers,

Jason

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jason, I'm glad that this made sense. I see that your filter now exclude all other steps all together, that should do.

I think that at the end of the day, the word for you is to TEST everything out and see the outcome.

Hope this helps.