AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Analytic Goal Event setup Help

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

I was trying to setup link click event in analytic yesterday and click the link on site many times from diff browser but there is no events showing in analytic. 

I have tried to setup two links like thei

<a href="mailto:cs@email.com" onClick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'email', 'click', 'email link click']);" style="color:#000000;">cs@email.com</a>

<a href="http://www.mysite.com/contact/" onClick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'contact', 'click', 'contact us footer']);">Contact us</a>

and in analytic I have set all parameter for category, Action, Label = "that matches".

can anyone help me to find a solution of this. The site is http://bit.ly/133Ka5Z  you can see these two link in footer of site where I have placed to test it.

=====

Universal Analytics is enabled for this property.

========

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil_Singh
September 2015

Re: Analytic Goal Event setup Help

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Well, I'd say that if you're using Universal Analytics, you should code events using the UA syntax, not the asynchronous one Smiley Happy. I have missed it initially as well and you seem to have mixed the codes.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events?hl=en

It's ga('send', 'event', 'email', 'click', 'email link click'); in your case.

I've just successfully pushed via Chrome's developer console the following event to your account:

ga('send', 'event', 'email', 'click', 'email link click', 99);

99 is the optional value. You should see it coming from Timisoara / Romania / Windows 7 / Chrome / 1680 pixels and so on. As far as I can see it's been registered. As an event listener I would still use onmousedown instead of onClick.

Please confirm it registered, and if it did, please update your code.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If you look at all events (Content, Events) are any of them recorded there?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
No, I have check it already.
The only thing I found there ( content event >> Overview drop down menu- Unique Events) - it show a graph of unique event but just graph, the all values are zero

Total Events=0
Unique Events=0
Visits with Event=0
and so on..

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello.

We've (myself and my colleagues) frequently found that onclick is unreliable, and therefore started using onmousedown as the triggering event. Others even put it to the test as you can read here: http://www.cardinalpath.com/experiment-onclick-vs-onmousedown-event-tracking-in-google-analytics/

Hope it helps.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks AdWiser,
I have added that onMouseclick code for one of the link to test.
Can you check that site footer link "contact us" and may click it once to test Smiley Happy

How much time will it take to update events?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I clicked on it twice, you should see some events in an hour, maybe less, I think.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks,I will update here after sometime

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Sure. But it should work, I see no reason why it wouldn't. Keep us posted, please.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
No Luck Smiley Happy

What next ?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil_Singh
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Well, I'd say that if you're using Universal Analytics, you should code events using the UA syntax, not the asynchronous one Smiley Happy. I have missed it initially as well and you seem to have mixed the codes.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events?hl=en

It's ga('send', 'event', 'email', 'click', 'email link click'); in your case.

I've just successfully pushed via Chrome's developer console the following event to your account:

ga('send', 'event', 'email', 'click', 'email link click', 99);

99 is the optional value. You should see it coming from Timisoara / Romania / Windows 7 / Chrome / 1680 pixels and so on. As far as I can see it's been registered. As an event listener I would still use onmousedown instead of onClick.

Please confirm it registered, and if it did, please update your code.