AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Analyse Competition categories?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone know why our company is being compared to  "Computers & Consumer Electronics / Computers / Computer Hardware / Computer Servers"

We are an oven cleaning company - the keywords triggered are relevent for our business but the categories are not.

thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author WeAreACC
September 2015

Re: Analyse Competition categories?

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

To be honest, I can't remember ever using this tool... I think I am missing the overall concern, or the underlying point here.

It seems like the names of the categories, are the same as topic, or interest category targeting options for the dispay network, but the KW's returned in the results for these "competitor categories", may have absolutely nothing to do with, the limited number of display network interest categories or topics head category names. Other than, you may want to target those audiences on the display network, if you use those keywords for search advertising.

So, in short - Why are you using this tool instead of the search terms report to add campaign negative keywords, for search campaigns? Are we talking about search advertising, or display advertising? I don't understnad the value of this tool, obviously, but what is the goal that you are trying to accomplish by using this tool? Maybe, there is a better tool to do that with. Smiley Happy

Tom

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

No words....

Smiley LOL

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi WeAreACC,

Those links you provided are only good for use on your account while you are logged in. No one here can access your account for you so, we'll just leave those alone for now.

If you'd like to share some more detailed information about which keywords you're referring to, company name etc...please feel free, it will help us to suggest some ideas that may help you out.

My blind guess would be that you may want to explore negative keywords on terms like computer, hardware and servers at some level in your campaigns/account.

We're more than happy to try and help but we would need more information to proceed.

@Moshe...did I miss something here? Why "No words...?"

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Are there any details for sub-categories? Maybe the results of the sub-categories are a little more specifc, with the head category being more generic?

In this help article, "we think" is repeated several times. The system may not know what the oven cleaning industry is, so it defaults to what category it "thinks" has something to do with your business.

Who am I compared to?

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=178441

Tom

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I am with Tom (Hale) on that . That's why I inserted a ROFL smiley. Smiley LOL

This is one of the mishaps AdWords has from time to time, on relatively new features, that are released, but haven't reached "steady state", and are not fully sustainable. (As Tom mentioned, "we think" - in the help article - is an indication...)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Cheers guys, sorry those links were supposed to have been killed as they are actually the subcategories that I'd copy/pasted.

my negative keyword list contains anything that isn't relevant from those categories.

For example, the sub-category "Blade Servers" which Adwords thinks i'm competing with contains the keywords "kookaburra cricket bats" which is not relevant to me (or Blade Servers) and is in my negative keyword list. 

Other than that, the only negative keywords I have are generic terms like "computer", "server" etc - they've been on there for a while but don't seem to have had an effect - maybe I need to be more patient.

I appreciate that there probably isn't a category for "oven cleaning", but as my campaign keywords (this is a single adgroup campaign) all contain variations on the word "cleaning", then I thought I might be able to at least compare our performance to a similar service industry like "domestic cleaners".

It's no big deal to us but I just can't see how Adwords has made the connection to computers etc. Should I just pile on as many pc geek phrases as I can remember into my exclusions and hope for the best?

PS are there any threads related to UK IP addresses and their, er, idiosyncracies?! I should probably start a new thread to ask about that, if not.

Thanks for your help so far.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

wish to have a little help with my channel . cannot get it all together.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author WeAreACC
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

To be honest, I can't remember ever using this tool... I think I am missing the overall concern, or the underlying point here.

It seems like the names of the categories, are the same as topic, or interest category targeting options for the dispay network, but the KW's returned in the results for these "competitor categories", may have absolutely nothing to do with, the limited number of display network interest categories or topics head category names. Other than, you may want to target those audiences on the display network, if you use those keywords for search advertising.

So, in short - Why are you using this tool instead of the search terms report to add campaign negative keywords, for search campaigns? Are we talking about search advertising, or display advertising? I don't understnad the value of this tool, obviously, but what is the goal that you are trying to accomplish by using this tool? Maybe, there is a better tool to do that with. Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree with you - i'm going to go back to the reports and find another way. I thought it may be useful but wasn't really sure what for.

cheers

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

It was not my intentention to discourage you from further discourse WeAreACC, quite the opposite. Smiley Happy

I have just never used the analyze competition tool before, period. I did realize a great use for the tool (Ithink I found a great use for it), but perhaps this is not the "right" tool for the job that you are trying to do? What is the job, what is the goal that you are trying to accomplish by using this tool? 

It's just a discussion forum, no pressure, but if you're willing, let's talk about it! Smiley Happy 

Tom