AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Ampersands in keyword reports?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I go to: Keywords > Details > All

I usually see a list of the actual keywords such as "cars" or "new car" that have received impressions. For a few months I've been seeing keywords such "los angeles cars & vehicles cars & trucks". This term had the most impressions. Why is that? Is it because of different parts of a phrase match grouped all together?

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ampersands in keyword reports?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Josh L,

No, it doesn't do that. Are you using interest groups as a target? That's what this looks like.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Couldn't that be a sign of Bots, or the whatnot Pete?
(When you see thousands of impressions in one day, but no clicks, for these long KW strings.)

How much search terms data do you have / How long has the account been active? If you have enough data to see what the top click/conversion generating underlying search queries are, then make sure you add those terms as KW's. Then, if you are concerned with overall CTR affecting quality score, you could exclude "-&", and hopefully eliminate those unwanted impressions while not losing any of the exact search terms KW impression volume of value.
Tom

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Tom,

I imagine it could be a sign of bots, but I really don't think that is likely. In general, the bots don't actually run the Javascript that produces the ads, so there is nothing for the bot to "click" on. Also, I don't know that bots crawl Google search results.

He's not looking at search terms, and the phrase is not one of his keywords. That leads me to the conclusion it's an interest group. This is what they look like in the AdWords UI.

What do you say, Josh L? Are you targeting interest groups?

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Interest targeting MUST be it, but I'm seeing it in a Search Network only campaign which is why I'm confused. I'm assuming that it may have had Display turned on at some point...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been seeing the same thing in my SQRs on campaigns that are not, and have never been targeting the Display Network. They have been a good portion of impressions as well. An example I just saw was 'tek gear&reg shapewear fit&nbsp &amp flare performance pants'. I have no clue what this could be.

Anyone got a solution for this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the same problem, and when creating a separate adgroup with the keyword as exact match its not getting any impressions

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
If your keywords are in phrase or broad match it could be a result from a search partner site (page title or a navigation breadcrumb).
You can exclude search partners in campaign settings > networks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Search partners only match by phrase & broad? What about exact?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
All match types apply to the search network, including search partners.
You can find where these queries are being triggered by copying search term into Google... This will probably show you which site your ad is showing on from this search term. The way to prevent keywords from generating search terms like these is to stop targeting search partners with broad (and phrase) match type keywords, with exception of exact match keywords (or opt-out of Search Partners completely).
I personaly would only opt exact match campaigns into Search Partners.