AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Alt-Right Websites on the GDN

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're becoming increasingly concerned about our client's ads appearing on alt-right websites on the GDN. We're actively blocking some of the obvious (eg. brietbart.com, therebel.media, anncoulter.com etc.) Is there an active list that we could apply to campaigns that are kept current?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The best would be to exclude specific placements. Politics is not listed under "snstevie" categories  as a topic that can be excluded.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Alt-Right Websites on the GDN

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Stephanie P

Are your campaign is contextual (keyword )targeting campaign?

If yes, you can choose the "content" just below the keywords targeting, instead of audience.

It will refine your placements, Google will stop showing the irrelevant placement. Also, your campaign reach will reduce but your campaign CTR will improve.

Select a keyword setting

GDn Targeting.PNG

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephanie P
February 2017

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Stephanie - 

We recently ran into this with one of our clients. It took some searching, but I found this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10eA5-mCZLSS4MQY5QGb5ewC3VAL6pLkT53V_81ZyitM/mobilebasic

This is a list of about ~920 "fake news" websites that includes a number of objectionable alt-right sites as well.

You can see the provenance/origin of the list here: http://www.kmov.com/story/33713839/professor-compiles-list-of-fake-misleading-news-websites

I found it to be missing a few key alt-right "offenders" if you will, that'll you want to add in by hand when you scrape the list in that google doc to make your exclusion list. Here's the ones to add:

alternativeright.com

radixjournal.com

amren.com

thepoliticalcesspool.org

therightstuff.biz

Hope this helps, Stephanie. Good luck out there. It's a whole new world : /

Re: Alt-Right Websites on the GDN

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Seth C;

This community is a pure professional and technical platform for advertisers. Its success  during the years (among other factors)  is attributed  to publishing content  only about  technical and professional topics. In this discussion, thought about a political and  controversial topic, we were careful  to  suggest the user (and focus on) a technical solution regardless of the content 

I would consider editing the post and removing links to external resources that can imply a political  option.

Thanks

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

@MosheTLV is right, if you want to craft a specific audience, you just have to put in that work over time. Smiley Happy

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of these Portland kids born and raised. Smiley Happy If you do your homework, put in the effort, learn your marketplace, and continue to optimize your ad copy - Things have a way of getting sorted out. Remember, Google does use ad content, to a degree, when it comes to display targeting. Just don't violate any policies, and the ad content goes a long way to help you find your audience.

Like @MosheTLV said - Check those placement reports! The display network is huge... or Yuge - Whatever the kids are calling it nowadays. One national, or international placement, can generate millions of impressions. Add an effective remarketing list to the mix, and you could have a larger, more targeted marketplace then you may have thought possible.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This self-promotional post has been archived by a Moderator. Please note that our Community Posting Guidelines ask that you do not promote any products or services here in the forum, even if related.

Repeated spam posts may result in suspension from this community forum.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

These aren't products or services. It's instructions on how to block certain websites on Adwords, which is a direct response to her question. I'd love to be able to share this info since I wrote the blog for purely informational purposes.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Stephanie,

I have a list of these websites that I'm happy to send you, that I spend a long time compiling. Reach out if you'd like me to email it to you.

Natalie

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This self-promotional post has been archived by a Moderator. Please note that our Community Posting Guidelines ask that you do not promote any products or services here in the forum, even if related.

Repeated spam posts may result in suspension from this community forum.