AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Allocating conversions to multiple ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to get clarification on a point which seems quite fundamental to tracking conversions..

Let's say a user has never visited the site before (an ecommerce site in this example). They enter the site by clicking on text ad 'Ad #1', have a browse, but don't buy anything. They then visit a week later via 'Ad #2' (could be via another text ad, remarketting display ad etc., but crucially different to the one they clicked on to find the site).  In the second session they make a purchase.

Does 'Ad #1' get any credit for acquiring the customer, or will the conversion be fully attributed to 'Ad #2'?

If the latter, are there any tracking tools out there to help allocate conversions better?

Many thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Allocating conversions to multiple ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@David D;

In AdWords the conversion is attributed to the last click, while in Analytics, it is attributed to the last indirect source.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Allocating conversions to multiple ads

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @David D,

Adding more to what Moshe already said... 

If it's a search network campaign, you can get deeper insights about your conversions by looking at the Attribution Report. It will show you the conversion path that customers took to complete their purchases, hence allowing you to understand how initial clicks are helping last clicked keywords bring in conversions. 

More about it is here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722023?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.