AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

All available sites settings generates You Tube clicks, which rationale I cannot understand

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I created a campaign which basic settings are:

• Image ads
  • network settings is All available sites. So, it is using the Google search network, and the display network (Broad reach)

So basically, it is looking at placing image ads in

• google search network
  • display network using Keywords
  • display network using Placements

By looking at the generated data, all the clicks come from Youtube pages. however, I am not too certain of how that worked. I guess that the website Placements settings had no effect on the youtube placements, but i have a few little questions...Smiley Happy

• I guess that Youtube is part of the google search network. Is that setting combined to the use of image ads which drives users to Youtube?
  • How are the keywords being used in Youtube?  Similarly to a standard google search? I thought that the keywords were only used for text ads...
  • Are the keywords being used to describe the Youtube pages based on the description of the youtube video uploader?

Thanks a lot!!!

mg

PS: joined today this community and I find it very useful already!!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: All available sites settings generates You Tube clicks, which rationale I cannot understand

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi mg,

Let's look at a couple things here, first an assumption you have made that is not true.

"I created a campaign which basic settings are:

• Image ads
  • network settings is All available sites. So, it is using the Google search network, and the display network (Broad reach)"

Image ads only run on the Display Network, not on Google search or search partners.

Your campaign is set to All available sites, which includes automatic placements and your manual placements. YouTube is part of the Display Network, so your image ads are eligible to appear there. If you want only your manual placements, you'll need to change the settings. I wish I could give you more specific instuctions, but I have different options as my account has not yet been switched to the new descriptions. You want "only sites I specify" (or something like that), or "Specific Reach", as it shows on my interface.

Keywords now report impressions and clicks in the Display Network. Again, you are not running search ads, even though your campaign may be set up to do so. Only text ads can run on the search network. If you have no text ads in your campaign, you are not getting impressions from the Search Network.

You could always add YouTube as an exclusion for your  campaign or ad group. I've seen reports of my ads on YouTube. When I drill down to the actual video where the ad was shown, I find really strange stuff! I have no idea how they match this stuff up, but I would say they don't do it very well on YouTube.

I advertise space-related items and autographs. The majority of my YouTube impressions were on Mexican rock videos!

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: All available sites settings generates You Tube clicks, which rationale I cannot understand

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply!

So, if I understand well, in terms of image ads placement, there is no difference the way

Google search engine and the web pages work together

and

You Tube search engine and the YouTube pages work together

They are just two different google networks with the same premises: a search engine and pages with information

I guess that the biggest challenge of the YouTube network is how to associate themes and keywords to the YouTube pages, since apart from the description and keywords given by the uploader, the majority of the contextual info is included in the video

thanks

mg

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi mg,

The search network and the display network work very differently. AdSense, the main vehicle for publiching your ads on other web sites, has 2 parts: AdSense for Content (AFC) and AdSense for Search (AFS). Sites using AFC are part of the Display Network. Sites using AFS are part of the search network. A site can participate in both.

From what I can tell, YouTube uses AFC for both video views and for search. I did a search on YouTube. The results page shows and image ad. So, yes, your add could show with search results on YouTube.

I agree, targeting YouTube videos with your ads is really difficult.

Best,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Just to add to Pete - one way to target specific YouTube videos is by placement targeting. You just open the placement tool in your AdWords account, from the checkboxes on the left you leave only video, then chose youtube.com as a placement and search for a particular keyword that interests you and you'll see all the channels related to this. You can also search for a particular user and target all the videos by that user.

You might want to check out this help center article too: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404253

Karl

mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
mg
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your replies and for the link to the article

Just to recapitulate everything, based on your great help this is my current undestanding of the discussed topic:

• Image ads only run on the Display Network. Even though YouTube has a search engine, it is not considered a Google search network.
  • In a YouTube page, the best match is found between one KW (among the KWs in ad-group) and the content of the YouTube page (video description, keywords...)
  • YouTube results page also shows image ads. In this case, I assume it works like in a Google search campaign, where the best match is found between the ad KWs and the query

Also, as Karl was indicating:

• You can target specific placements across YouTube pages, users or channels
  • You can target specific categories of video content.

Thanks

mg