AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords working in Analytics, but referrals still showing clicks from googleads.g.doubleclick.net

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

So let me start by noting that I have successfully gotten adwords working within analytics with auto-tagging. The issue is that after I have gotten it successfully working, I am continuing to see googleads.g.doubleclick.net show up under referrals, along with other websites where I obviously am getting paid content clicks. Granted, the majority of my clicks are showing under campaigns/paid traffic, but a pretty large number are still showing up elsewhere. Any ideas? The analytics code is correctly placed on all pages before the ending head tag. 

Also, adwords shows 16,500 clicks vs. analytics 13,500 paid visits. Some of that discrepancy seems to be related to incorrect categorization as already noted, maybe the rest is just due to scenarios where 2 clicks are tracked as 1 visit by analytics etc. On a side note, are we supposed to be charged double for the same person clicking the same ad twice within 30 minutes?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords working in Analytics, but referrals still showing clicks from googleads.g.doubleclick.ne

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi wiredwebinc,

As per Google notes, It seems that googleads.g.doubleclick.net are the clicks on your AdWords Display network ads specifically for the ads showing on publisher sites in the AdSense program - for which the destination URLs have not been tagged properly.

There might be a scenario, where you turned on the Auto tagging later and that's why these clicks are being reported separately (for earlier time period) which actually originated from Google Display Network. If this is the case, moving forward these referral links should not be available for the time period after you turned on the auto tagging.

Lastly I could think of your website supporting auto tagging properly or not. You can test this by appending your destination URL with ?gclid=test or &gclid=test and see if this generates any error or not. If there's an error, you will have to contact your webmaster to make it enabled.

Just a thought!

Pankaj 

Re: Adwords working in Analytics, but referrals still showing clicks from googleads.g.doubleclick.ne

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi pankaj1782,

Thank you for your reply. I'm only looking at data for a single day that is from many days after I originally turned on auto-tagging, so your first guess doesn't seem to be the problem. As for your second guess, I've already tested the destination URLs and they have worked fine, not to mention they show up as destination URLs under Adwords within analytics with lots of visits. Thus, I am quite perplexed as to what is causing this.

-Aaron

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Aaron,

There might be another possibility that the destination URLs which you are using for Adwords contain some redirects, due to which Google Analytics script is tracking them from different sources like referrals and Adwords.

Try looking at it and see if this is the case..

Hope that might help you somewhere Aaron!

Pankaj 

Re: Adwords working in Analytics, but referrals still showing clicks f

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Aaron,

did you find a solution to this? I have one account of which 75% seems to be tagged as google / cpc and 25% as googleads.g.doubleclick.net / referral.

Very strange.

Re: Adwords working in Analytics, but referrals still showing clicks f

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Quite a while ago, I know, but have you had any luck with this? I'm trying to understand why I'm seeing the same results on a clients web page.