AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords vs Google Analytics Conversion Tracking. Best for my business?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm unsure as to what conversion tracking method to use for my business. 

I run Adwords  Ad----> Landing Page Sign-up ----> 1 week email campaign ------> Purchase

This is what I currently do:

1. Set up 2 conversions in Adwords and add pixel to thank-you pages (for both the sign-up and purchase)
2. Then I go into Google Analytics, and set up my 2 goals (sign-up and purchase)

So I am tracking at both levels. Not sure if this is the right thing to do for my business model.

Now, could I technically, create my goals in GA, then import them into Adwords, and not have to worry about tagging my pages with pixels. What is the right way to go if I want to track Adwords sign-ups AND Purchases.

Look forward to your responses!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords vs Google Analytics Conversion Tracking. Best for my busin

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Richard,

The advantage of using the AdWords conversion tracking code is you can set the actual value of the purchase conversion. With Analytics Goals, you can only assign a fixed value for conversions. Another way to go would be eCommerce transactions imported as conversions. That would also track the actual value of the sale.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response. Lets say I only use the Adwords conversion tracking code. Is there a way to see my conversions in Google Analytics?

Also open to other response. Looking for the best way to track my conversions from people who clicked an ad, even if they convert via email later down the road (next week)

Thought?!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Richard N,

Yes, you will be able to see your conversions in Analytics. It will be under Acquisition/AdWords.

If the conversion via email is through a web page on your site, the conversion will still record if it happens within the defined conversion window. The default is 30 days. Just make sure the conversion tracking code is on the thank you page for the email conversion.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks!

I don't understand how I can go into Google Analytics and see a conversion from Adwords. For instance, if I don't have any goals or eccomerce in Google Analytics. And I create a sign-up conversion in Adwords.

How do I see that sign-up conversion pixel I made in Adwords, in Google Analytics?

Thansk!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Richard N,

First, you'll need to link your AdWords and Analytics accounts if you haven't already. Since you can import your goals to AdWords as conversions, it sounds like you've already done that. There's a special section in Analytics for AdWords reporting, as I mentioned above. Take a look at your Analytics account, you should see this section now.

The AdWords conversion code works with a 3rd party cookie that is returned with the request for the .js file from Google. If the cookie is present, the conversion will be attributed properly to the campaign/ad/keyword or other targeting method. That conversion will show up in both the AdWords and the Analytics reporting.

Best of Luck!

Pete