AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords tracking visitors and conversions questions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client that would like to be able to see which pages were viewed by users coming through Adwords Ads.  So I am thinking this is an Analytics thing and the accounts are linked, but I could not figure out how to actually get this data. Do I need to set up a funnel or am I missing a report that is already there?  Additionally they are wanting to find out the length of time these users stayed on the site.  I am thinking that these questions are somewhere between dimensions and Analytics, I don't see these options in dimesions which I believe would be the only way for them to match a specific conversion to these types of information, but I could totally be wrong as I have never had someone want this type of info before so its new to me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords tracking visitors and conversions questions

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi
Welcome to Adwords community,

Your both questions have answers in analytics yes but your 1st question is a little vague.

• When you say "which pages were viewed" I am going to assume that users on your website have multiple ways to navigate and reach the goal. In this case you can create a custom report by clicking on customization tab >> Create custom report by selecting metric as visits and dimension as pages, Then you should apply filter as source=google & medium=CPC. I am not entirely sure how you are going to make statistical sense out of this report
  • Your 2nd question is far more clear. For this again you can create a custom report with metric as Avg visit duration and dimension as keyword, filters same as above.
  • Note: I am assuming your medium as CPC only, Also keep in mind visit duration for bounce visits will be zero

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for your response....

I have actually not done any work on their account yet, it was set up internally and I assume I will have to do a bit of work structuring and with ads and landing pages before I get started, but what I got from them is that they want to see what "other" pages were viewed by those Adwords visitors that convert.  I think they are not really thinking in terms of - send ad clickers to page, convert from that page.....and obviously in a perfect world it works like that....but ya. So when I set up this the report the way you describe below, I will end up with all the pages view by all the google/CPC visitors in whatever time period I select?  Is there anyway to follow specific users?  I am not expecting a ton of conversions and I think they are hoping to be able to see attributes from specific users based on the time they come in and where they are from.  When I think about it, I feel like that I can get all the little bits of information they want, but may not be able to connect them all, if that makes sense.

Smiley Happy 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

katie9143

That report is decieving for a number of reasons, mainly becuase Google Analytics is session based.   So every page with a pageview and source/medium of "Google/CPC" doesn't mean they came from an ad for that product.

Example:

I click on an ad for "Nike Pegasus 29+"

I visit the "Nike Pegasus 29+" product page  (pagview recorded with source/medium "Google/CPC")

then I visit the "Nike Pegasus 25" product page  (pagview recorded with source/medium "Google/CPC")

Google Analytics would have you believe that the "Nike Pegasus 25" had a driect visit from Google CPC if taken at face value. The most accurate way I found to track these kind of stats accurately is to use the custom variables.  In this case the referring page. Record the referring page into a custom variable, then when you create the report make that a constraint.

The ComputerBob

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Bob - That would work assuming that the landing pages were CPC-origin-only pages, right?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It doesn't matter what the source or the landing page.  It's all session based. Default session value is 30 mins.  The refferer will be attached to the session(stored in the cookie), not the page. 

Here is an examlple of concatinating the referrers, ( I do the same for the refferring page, then I use reg exp  with the "|"..

googleps|google|google|google|google|google|google|google|google|google|google|google|google|google|google|google 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
so based on the session it would know that this user came from a ppc campaign and then record the pages visited? Where is the custom variable option, I can't seem to find it - is it not part of the custom report area? thanks again Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I guess the question comes back to what are you trying to accomplish with this report? If you are trying to find out which products get CPC visits and no Organic visits, there are better ways to do so.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Katie/ComputerBob, if I may, Bob it does sound like you're complicating things a little...

With an appropriately set up AdWords structure and eCommerce tracking and/or Analytics Goals, there's a lot of fairly detailed tracking that can be had right "out of the box", with Analytics.  For example you can use AdWords as a source right down to the Keyword level then match that against Goals or Transactions and data such as time on site, pages/visit are all there in the standard reports.

Katie you might find the "Visitors Flow" report almost ideal for showing how people move through the site following a landing from AdWords - it's under "Audience", right down the bottom.  You can "drill down" into any segment displayed and export the data as a PDF to show to bosses.

Have I missed something obvious?  If I have I'm blame it on the hour and the fact I should really be asleep by now...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Cobnut -

No, I don't think you have missed something.  It just sounds like the intention is more for a report to track individual users. That is why I didn't recommend visitor flow, because that feature, as cool as it is, doesn't really do anything for reporting and aggregating.  I recognized this problem and built basically an attribution model for pages. Which answers the question of how often is this path taken. 

If you really want to track individual users' paths and then aggregate those paths into say an actionable spreadsheet or Google Graph, I think this is the only way to accomplish that.  (Short of parsing the Apache log file.)

So back to the original question, what is the end goal of the report?