AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Adwords tag not collecting data from Shopify shop.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone! Has anyone managed to properly configure the adwords tracking tag on their shopify site? Mine is installed, but it's collecting (almost) no data. I've asked shopify support and they don't really know, it seems to be installed correctly, they recommend talking to adwords support. When I talk to adwords support they tell me it seems to be installed correctly, talk to shopify support. Any help at all would be appreciated!

2.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ScottyD (Top Contributor)
March

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Just have the Analytics tag added in Settings, and have eCommerce turned on there (a tick box) and in Analytics. That's all you need. And I did this for a client just yesterday and it is working fine. 

Having code on the checkout page is the old way - unfortunately Shopify's help file need updating, they are all over the place for this.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kyle,

I regularly install conversion tracking on Shopify, and I always use Google Analytics. There's a place to add it in Shopify settings, then turn on ecommerce tracking in Analytics, and import transactions into AdWords. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply! So to be clear, should I forget about the adwords tag? I definitely have the GA tag implemented properly, because I can see ecommerce data in my analytics reports. So all I need to do is import my analytics data into adwords? Like this I guess? 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034306?hl=en 

I just tried to set this up, but analytics doesn't show up as an option. Is this because I haven't run a campaign yet?

"On a per-type basis, your Analytics goal or transaction has received active traffic from an AdWords ad at some point."

I was hoping to set up conversion tracking before I start running ads, but I guess that's not possible. Can I do this step basically as soon as I start running a campaign?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You need to link AdWords and Analytics first. You can do this in the Settings of Analytics.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ok cool, I think that should be all set.

So, do I only need to have my global analytics tag in my onlinestore/preferences page?

I also currently have this in the code section on the checkout page :

<!-- Event snippet for Conversion Tracker - Shopify conversion page -->
<script>
  gtag('event', 'conversion', {
      'send_to': 'AW-865802468/6E-LCKDg53kQ5LHsnAM',
      'value': 1.0,
      'currency': 'EUR',
      'transaction_id': ''
  });
</script>

<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - AdWords: 865802468 -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=AW-865802468"></script>
<script>
  window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
  function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
  gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'AW-865802468');
</script>

Is this necessary?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ScottyD (Top Contributor)
March

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Just have the Analytics tag added in Settings, and have eCommerce turned on there (a tick box) and in Analytics. That's all you need. And I did this for a client just yesterday and it is working fine. 

Having code on the checkout page is the old way - unfortunately Shopify's help file need updating, they are all over the place for this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ok awesome, thanks for clarifying that! Can I also ask you, do you worry about goals? I have no idea how to set a transactional goal since I don't know exactly what url people get sent to after they finish a purchase.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

If you have eCommerce reporting turned on in Analytics, that automatically creates a transaction goal that can be imported into AdWords.