AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords shows 5000+ clicks, but Analytics showed only 2000+ visits? Paid $130+

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I just ended an Adwords campaign, and had installed an Analytics tracking code on my site.

As you can see from the attached pics, I paid about 130 bucks for 5000+ clicks, but my website on Analytics are only showing 2000+ visits?

Please help me understand this, as I am quite confused where half of my $130 went to.

Regards,

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SteelMill
September 2015

Re: Adwords shows 5000+ clicks, but Analytics showed only 2000+ visits? Paid $130+

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kai,

You might want to read a thread by Google Employe on Discrepancies in Google Analytics - Clicks vs Visits.

From Google Help Center: Discrepancies in Conversion Tracking & Google Analytics Stats 

One same discussion on similar topic.

Make sure you are using the correct date range.

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Adwords shows 5000+ clicks, but Analytics showed only 2000+ visits? Paid $130+

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kai2810,

Clicks vs. Visits

There is an important distinction between clicks (such as in your AdWords Campaigns reports) and visits (such as in your Visitors reports). The Clicks column in your reports indicates how many times your advertisements were clicked by visitors, while Visits indicates the number of unique sessions initiated by your visitors. There are several reasons why these two numbers may not match:

• A visitor may click your ad multiple times. When one person clicks on one advertisement multiple times in the same session, AdWords records multiple clicks while Analytics recognizes the separate pageviews as one visit. This is a common behavior among visitors engaging in comparison shopping.
  • A user may click on an ad, and then later, during a different session, return directly to the site through a bookmark. The referral information from the original visit is retained in this case, so the one click results in multiple visits.
  • A visitor may click on your advertisement, but prevent the page from fully loading by navigating to another page or by pressing the browser's Stopbutton. In this case, the Analytics tracking code is unable to execute and send tracking data to the Google servers. However, AdWords still registers a click.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Neha, Anchal!

I read the thread Neha suggested, and I may have the same issue where mobile clicks registered by Adwords are not tracked properly by Analytics.

I checked my campaign settings, and have set my search and display ads to appear on all desktop, mobile devices.

Do you know how to find out no. of clicks on mobile devices in Adwords?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Kai,

You can follow below stpes:

Go to campaign>> click on Segment under Adgroup Tab>> Choose Device.

Now your campaign will show full detail of Computers, Mobile devices with full browsers and Tablets with full browsers.

Hope it helps you!

Anchal

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello Kai2810,

In addition to above thoughts, please note that most of the click to calls you will see in Adwords, will not be registered in Analytics because those click to calls are directing the users to your business phone number, unless you have also given them option to direct to your mobile site.

This could be another reason of less visits in Analytics and more clicks in your Adwords account.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Understood my problem, thanks!

Any recommendations / links to read on how to improve tracking for mobile devices?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Welcome to AdWords Community,

This is an interesting article on how to efficiently track your mobile clicks.

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2010/07/tracking-clicks-from-mobile-devices.html

More Power,
Loraine