AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords parameters url creator

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I always had hard time to tag my urls manually so I made this simple page to help you generate your tagged ad URL with the adwords parameters:

adwords params url generator

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tal s
September 2015

Re: Adwords parameters url creator

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all I added option to add multiple urls, also I added option to add custom parameter
Hope I understand your feedback, and made this tool better for your needs please give me some feedback if you can.

adwords_params_url_generator

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
That's awesome!
I'll be using this for sure. Thanks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, I will be happy to get some feed back so I will be able to improve this simple tool.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Tal,

I tested your tool.. and have some feedback for you...
1. The tool can handle only 1 URL at a time... what if I have multiple URLs I need to append this tagging to?
2. Static/3rd party parameters are not poss to add with this...

What we generally do for this is use an excel sheet... and use the concat function to generate the final URL.... and drag the formula across the full column....
Basically, the sheet will have columns for:
Dest URL?
keyword={keyword}
&matchtype={matchtype}
&network={network}
&device={device}
&devicemodel={devicemodel}
&ifmobile={ifmobile:[value]}
etc....
+ 3rd party parameters....
the Final column will be... a concat of all the columns we need to use...

The destination URL could hence be different but the parameters can still be appended...Though this may not be a pretty interface to work on.. it is practical and super quick Smiley Happy

Do let me know if you need more clarity on this....
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Tal,

This is a great tool but it would be hard to put in the static parameters like campaign & adgroups for people who tag them.

I personally track these static parameters and to ease out this process have created an excel template where appropriate cells are setup with formulas to pull the campaign and adgroup data from the 1st and 2nd columns and then the rest of the url parameters follow after that.

To elaborate on this more, I have created an upload ready excel sheet formatted the way Editor accepts ad copies to be uploaded. Something like this:

Campaign   AdGroup   Headline   Desc1    Desc2   DisplayURL   DestnURL   DestnURL 2  Param1   Param2

The cell between destination URL & Param1 has a '?' from top to bottom manually added. Every cell in the columns Param 1 to Param n (basically as many params present in the sheet) will have have a formula to pull the respective parameter values from the existing data in the sheet.

So for example, for a campaign parameter, say param 1 column will have the following cell content '=(A1)' , A1 basically is referencing the A1 column which holds the campaign name. This formula is then dragged and copied to all the rows top to bottom in that column. This way when you copy your ad copy mapped structure into the sheet, all the values will be referenced and copied directly into the respective cells. 

Your Destn URL2 cells will contain the formula to concatenate all the values starting from 'DestnURL' to the last parameter value you want to concatenate. You also need to separate the parameters with the '&' symbol which can also be easily done. Here is an example of how you do it:

Your DestnURL2 columns will have the formula: 

'=concatenate(DestnURL,"&",param1,"&",param2,"&",param3,"&",param4,"&",param5)

This will give you your tagged URL with all your necessary parameters in it. You only need to copy paste (paste special) this column onto the same column to get static values in the cell (once you have confirmation that all data is pulled correctly). Then copy paste the values from this column to the DestnURL column to get your completely tagged, mapped and upload ready ad sheet.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much for your feedback I totally understand I will add option to add multiple URLS and also to tag the static parameters with your own value

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Great! Smiley Happy
Just one thing.. if you are going to build this.. you need to ensure it would be easier to use than the excel sheet....
Tools are supposed to make things easier... so if an excel is easier to use.. people would use that and not the tool... and your effort would be wasted... so tc of that...

Do post the link of your tool once it is completed!

And all the best!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Looking forward to the updated tool!

Keep us posted on this Tal. Appreciate it!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tal s
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all I added option to add multiple urls, also I added option to add custom parameter
Hope I understand your feedback, and made this tool better for your needs please give me some feedback if you can.

adwords_params_url_generator

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi Tal,

I just tested the tool and while it works perfectly there is a possible issue that I see here.

You have added the option of adding custom static parameters and while it works fine, it will only work if you have one campaign and one adgroup you wish to add as static parameters to the URL.

Even if I have 10 adgroups under one campaign, I will have to add each adgroup name separately ( as in multiple sessions). I cannot add different static values to different URL's depending on the adgroup name. I will have to repeat the exercise of adding the same URL 10 times separately, add the static adgroup names each time thereby increasing my execution time.

Also, same logic applies to Campaigns, where you will have to finish all adgroups under one campaign and then move on to the next campaign.

If I were to improve this tool, I would suggest a means by which you can add multiple adgroup & campaign names to different URL's. I am not an expert at coding but I am guessing you may be able to do this using this logic.

If you can implement this, I think you will have a perfect Destination URL tag builder tool. Truthfully speaking, at the moment, I feel like my & Shweta's excel sheet idea works faster in terms of adding multiple campaign & adgroups names.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,