AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords landing page URL is encoded, why?

[ Edited ]
Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

When doing a search for "firestone complete autocare" the landing page URL when you click the ad looks like this

www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/sem/tires3-2/?mchxkw=c%3A335929219%2Ck%3Afirestone+complete+auto+c...

It used to look like this

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/sem/tires3-2/?mchxkw=c:335929219,k:firestone complete auto ...

We're not sure why / how this changed?

Thanks

LJ Purtee

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Is this URL in a non Latin language?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Not applicable
# 3
Not applicable

It's in English.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi N/A,

interesting question. Have you made changes to your tracking template recently? Both links appear to go to the correct page, so it does not seem to be a problem for navigation. Is it causing problems in your tracking software? The URL encoding does not seem necessary, unless the tracking template goes to another page first to record the click and then goes to your page.

I'll look for your answer when I get back to work on Friday. I might be able to ask one of the Google engineers why this is happening.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable

We have not made any changes to the tracking template and and we do not direct to a click server or another other platform before going to the landing page. Yes, the encoding is causing problems with our analytics reporting and that's what brought this to our attention.

I also noticed that about 1 out of 10 times I do this search and click through, the URL is not encoded this way. Very strange.

Thanks for your input on this!

LJ

Not applicable
# 6
Not applicable

Just checking in to see if anyone has any further ideas on why we're seeing some Google landing page URLs partially encoded and some not encoded.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @,

Are you getting hits to both URL is reporting? I think they are two separately-defined URLs and not one being changed to the other.

Kind Regards,

James