AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords increase the bounce rate for our website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We are one of client of google adwords for almost two years. Recently we find out, our bounce rate increased to 60%, and the time spend on site decreased. (From alexa data)

When we stop the google adwords,  the bounce rate decreased and time spend on site increased.

I was thinking it corelated with keywords, but every keywords and webpage are correlation.

Does this harm to my organic search rank ?

( It seems do).

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords increase the bounce rate for our website

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi paco.

I'm not anybody here, I'm just another person seeking answers, but I think I can somewhat answer your question.

I think many don't realise but I believe on the one hand bouncerate does effect ranking. But on the other hand, bounce rate coming from your Adwords ads might be taken into consideration. 

The fact that you have an increased bounce rate and decreased time spent on site when coming from adwords ads means that your landing page isn't corresponding well with your adwords ads. Are you sure that what you are telling viewers in you adwords ads in the same on your landing page, or is a follow-up, next step, etc.? Your landing page should be the same idea or the same message or an extension of the message of your adwords ad.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Paco,

No this will not harm your organic search rank.

I'll suggest you to check the Search Terms report, which will tell you which keywords trigger your ads. Add negative keywords for your ad groups so that your ad will not show for irrelevant keywords. If you have lots of broad match keywords then chances are you're getting lots of clicks for those search terms which are not relevant to your businesss and services. Check all these broad match keywords and pause them.

Beside this, if you're running your ad in display network, kindly check which websites are getting only clicks and not giving you conversions, exclude those website. Review your all ads text and analysis are they giving the right or specific message, change if you think they are not. 

In general, More will be keywords, ad texts and landing page relevant to each other, more will be time on your website and viceversa

Dinesh
My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Paco,

While having ads on or off won't effect organic rankings, the quality of the site is a factor. If there is a chunk of traffic, regardless of the source, that is not enganging the site and this can be interpretted as less relevant.

First off, I would suggest a free analytics tool, the best of which is Google Analytics. This much more accurate and indepth than Alexa, and will provide the insight you need into the site.

One aspect that analytics will tell you is the volume of traffic. If there is a large disrepency in performance metrics (bounce rate, time on site), there is probably a shift in amount of page views, visits, & visitors.

The catch, it only works going forward and cannot report on past traffic activity.

In terms of the advertising, I agree with the others that suggest refining your targeting (new ads, exact/phrase match keywords) and revisiting your landing page/conversion path - there may be a disconnect. A great check is to ask a few people to either search or enter your site on the landing page and observe their behavior, preferrably in person.

I am not affiliated with Google and have been in the field for a number of years.

-Chris

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Paco,

I'd just like to clear up one thing. The bounce rate on your website does not affect your organic page rank. It is not one of the signals used by Google to determine your position in organic search results. Similarly, the conversion rate for your ads does not affect your ad rank.

Google is only concerned with the click on their property, be it an ad or an organic listing. Once the user hits your site, it's all up to you. Google does not look at your Analytics stats to determine anything. And you are not using Analytics presently, so it's not even possible for Google to view your bounce rate.

Other than that, I would follow the advice of previous posters on this thread.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Paco.

After reading other replies here, I wanted to say that my reply wasn't intended to mislead you. 

One of the reasons I think/thought that bounce rate might/might have affected quality ranking is that it might give Google the impression that your landing page is not relevant to the search that the ad was clicked from. I would make sense to me that it would work similar to the way you get the option to 'block this site from my search' (or whatever that message says), that you get when you click on on site in a search and click back out of it quickly (within/before a cerain amout of time, without staying on the site).

That message obviously signals the algorithms enough to even show that option in the first place so I figure it was enough to be considered in ranking for relevance for a particular search.

As the others have said in their replies you should take a look at your keywords, match types, possibly adding negative keywords, and their relevance to your landing page.

Sorry if my answer was confusing or wrong!

I hope you find the information from the replies helpful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Don't be mislead by those who say that bounce rate doesn't affect search rank. It absolutely does!

Your bounce rate is one of dozens of factors that the Google algorithms use to determine the "PageRank" of each and every page on your website. Your PageRank is what determines if / when / where that page shows up in a search.

Look at it this way ... Every page on your website is Pre-Evaluated by Google (Before it shows up in search) and has already been given a Google Credit Score (PageRank).  At this point, Google has already decided which Keywords should be associated with that page and in what position to show up in the search results for those Keywords. (Because the Big G. is always looking for who's page delivers the best result for the "Google" customer - the Searcher.)

The Bounce Rate of your web page helps Google determine if their initial presumption of your PageRank is accurate. A high bounce when using those Keywords means they need to make more adjustments. (ie: Wrong Keywords = Higher Bounce = Lower search rank for that Keyword.)

The Google algorithims are constantly making adjustments, analizing keywords & positions and determining your FATE! What's more, you should always remember that Google data is always "historical". By that, I mean that the only way it is possible for Google to return a result of a single keyword within MILLISECONDS of a person hitting that "return" key (Even faster for "Instant") is to already have that information stored, indexed and ready to distribute - the moment a person searches for that Keyword. Google doesn't "Search Out" the entire planet every time someone does a search - that information is already ready to distribute - BEFORE someone does a search. 

The bottom line is that your Bounce Rate (both for a single page and for your website as a whole) are one factor of many that affect your search rank. You should always be mindful of it and always be working to lower it.

Cheers.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi DzineN,

Sound like a lot of conjecture to me. Do you think Google organically rates sites that use Google Analytics higher than sites that don't?

The thing is, if you do not have GA on your site, how in the heck will Google determine any click is a bounce? If they can not determing bounces on a site without GA, then using bounces to lower page rank on sites that do use GA is a bit of a penalty for using a Google product, isn't it? I just don't see Google doing that.

Do you have a reference for your statements about bounce rates?

Yes, the search results are a bit historical in nature. The bots don't go out and look for the content you requested each time on the web sites themselves. Instead, it's an extensive database kept up-to-date with frequent crawling of web sties. The search query runs against the database, and that is done at the time of the query. The SERP's are customized for the individual users.

This is not the right forum for discussion of PageRank for organic search. This forum is for paid search, AdRank is the relative metric.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

can you tell me any wordpress plugin other than w3 cache to help in page load boosting?  my blog is http://mindbusterz.com . it has high page load time