AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords gclid and Medium set as (not set)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have noticed when I am debugging GTM in the console that, when clicking on a PPC ad, I see the following for Campaign details:

Campaign Medium : (not set)
Campaign Name : (not set)
Campaign Term : (not provided);
Google Click ID : CKDQmf7pv9MCFVQaGwodS2EHsw

Is this expected behaviour, or should Medium be set as cpc? I also don't see a 'Source' set.

It's worth noting I am seeing a spike in Direct/None traffic, so was wondering if this is related.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Holly,

Thanks for reaching out. 

'(Not set)' is a placeholder name that Analytics uses when it hasn't received any information for the dimension you have selected. The reasons for (not set) appearing as a dimension value vary according to the report.

If (not set) appears in your AdWords reports, it means that the website or app you're tracking in the Analytics account is receiving traffic from an AdWords account that is not linked to the reporting view. You should review the following:

-Auto-tagging is on but cost data is not applied

-There is a redirect in the URL

-The gclid parameter is altered or dropped from the ad 

-Manually tagged URLs are missing a parameter

Occasionally, information related to a click can be lost even if auto-tagging is enabled. As a result, you may see some (not set) entries instead of keyword, ad-content, or campaign information that could not be collected.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2017

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Holly,

Thanks for reaching out. 

'(Not set)' is a placeholder name that Analytics uses when it hasn't received any information for the dimension you have selected. The reasons for (not set) appearing as a dimension value vary according to the report.

If (not set) appears in your AdWords reports, it means that the website or app you're tracking in the Analytics account is receiving traffic from an AdWords account that is not linked to the reporting view. You should review the following:

-Auto-tagging is on but cost data is not applied

-There is a redirect in the URL

-The gclid parameter is altered or dropped from the ad 

-Manually tagged URLs are missing a parameter

Occasionally, information related to a click can be lost even if auto-tagging is enabled. As a result, you may see some (not set) entries instead of keyword, ad-content, or campaign information that could not be collected.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

(not set) appears within the console debugger, but my Adwords data pulls through fine in Analytics. I'm trying to rule out sources of direct/none, so wanted to start with this, but it sounds like if Google has the gclid then even if medium is not set, it's not an issue?