AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords data not same in linked analytics account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have several new websites (very little traffic) where AdWords shows the # of clicks in a month but the same sites Analytics account shows a lot less visits. The Accounts are linked but that shouldn't matter- a click is a click and should be reflected in the analytics, right?

I would think if AdWords is showing X number of clicks in its dashboard, Analytics should be fairly close but its not at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords data not same in linked analytics account

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Darren,

Discrepancy between AdWords & Analytics isn't something new or alarming. These tools have different methods to count clicks and visits. Apart from that, there are many other factors involved like landing page response after appending GCLID and website load time for firing the GA code. Here's a nice article on our community that explains the nitty-gritty. I'd suggest reading this article on the help center as well.

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Re: Adwords data not same in linked analytics account

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Darren,

Typically when looking at the discrepency between AdWords and Google Analytics you will typically see more sessions then clicks. Google explains it pretty well here: 
Google AdWords tracks clicks, while Google Analytics tracks sessions. If a user clicks on your ad twice within thirty minutes without closing his or her browser, this is registered by Analytics as one session, even if the user left your site and then returned shortly after. For example, if a user clicks on your ad once, clicks the back button, and then clicks your ad again, AdWords registers two clicks while Analytics registers one session. " 

But since you said that you're seeing more clicks than sessions you should check the following: 

• Make sure your AdWords Import & Export Settings are correct 
  • Make sure that Universal Analytics is operating on ALL pages - try visiting the site and checking UA 'real-time' data. 
  • You turned off auto-tagging for your URLs in your AdWords account 

For more details see Google's article on the subject: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’