AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords cost incorrect in Analytics - currency issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all

We have our Google Analytics and Adwords accounts linked for ecommerce. We are a UK company and are billed by Adwords in UK GBP, and want to continue being billed in GBP.

We take sales on our website in multiple currencies, and report internally using Google Analytics in USD $, and want to continue doing so. As a consequence our Google Analytics account is set to USD.

The issue I am seeing is that when Adwords sends costs data to Analytics, Analytics reports the cost data as USD without doing any currency conversion.

So for example an Adwords cost of £100 is reported as an Adwords cost of $100 in Analytics.

This means all our Analytics Adwords costs and ROI etc are being reported incorrectly, and I need to manually run Excel reports to correct this.

There must be an easier way to get this working, while still using Analytics as our master reporting centre.

For background, we currently import sales goals from Analytics into Adwords as conversions. We are about to switch over to import commerce transactions so we can see cost data in Adwords. However I don't see that this is going to solve our Analytics reporting issue.

Any help appreciated. I've searched online, and can see people having the same issue, but no solutions.

Adwords help staff have only given me cut and paste answers that are not relevant to our situation.

Thanks in advance

Dan

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan F
September 2015

Re: Adwords cost incorrect in Analytics - currency issue

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dan,

Unfortunately It is not possible in your current view because if you change your currency in Google Analytics from $ to £ it will affect the revenue data of your $ currency. So here is what I would recommend.

Create a copy of your current view(profile) within that profile apply a custom filter to see only Adwords reports data and from the admin of that profile change the currency to £ then it will report your Adwords data with UK currency within that View. You can also import that view data within your adwords account.

Now you have a different view which will only report on Traffic from Adwords with UK currency £.

Cheers,
Nouman

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Nouman - I'll give that a try now and wait for the data to populate in the copied view.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Though I've a feeling we are converting transaction values to USD and passing them to GA as a raw number without currency appended, so I think we'll just end up with accurate Adwords costs and inaccurate transaction values, the opposite of what we have now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We're going to start sending the currency of transactions to GA, and that with your suggestion should get us where we need to be

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi

Now you can track conversion value in different currencies in adwords it self. Have you read this article before?

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3419241?hl=en

Read the "Conversion value currency" section, it should able to solve your issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the link Nisal, but we track ecommerce conversions in Google Analytics, then import them to Adwords as conversions, so we need to fix the currency issue in GA first. That links seems to just be for people using Adwords conversion tracking code as far as I can see.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Dan,

Assuming you don’t want to change currencies of both the accounts adwords (GBP) and analytics (USD)-

Currently, adwords account linked to GA updates cost considering GA’s currency setting.

ie Though adwords currency is in GBP, it will be recorded in GA in USD without conversion. And this is messing up your ROI calculation in GA.

Now as you have started tracking e-commerce conversions in local currencies, you can create adwords conversion with the same currency name and transaction value. You can update the adwords conversion code to add those values. And you can avoid importing goals to adwords unless otherwise required. You can refer to https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3419241#currency

And it will give you ROI based on single billing currency in adwords.

Further, if you really want to use GA only as a central dashboard to calculate ROI, you may need to use API to import the cost data from adwords to analytics.

Importing cost data is meant for non-google campaigns but you can try using it to cater this need.

Using APIs then

Get cost data from adwords in standard format

Convert data from single currency to any standard currency lets say USD as you have GA account with USD

Import it in analytics with currency mentioned as USD.

So now you have adwords GBP cost in GA in USD and then you can calculate ROI in GA only.

You can refer this guide for importing the cost-

https://developers.google.com/analytics/solutions/data-import-cost

Good luck!

SJ

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi SJ

Thanks, but the costs for Adwords are already coming into Google Analytics now the accounts are linked, so no need to import costs for Adwords via the api.

Best regards

Dan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, now working fine - thanks Nouman