AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords cookie missing on checkout

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings everyone!

I've been tasked in investigating this perceived issue/discrepancy with regards to the Adwords conversion count.

before I proceed with my question, here's how in a nutshell I understand Adwords work

- user click on an ad in Google (like in search result page)

- Google fires a cookie

- user completes a transaction

- Google Adwords code/snippet fires

- Google checks if cookie is present and matches the id set with the Adwords Tracking code - if match then this is a valid conversion/count

If my understanding is correct, then my question(s) are:

1. have there been any instance or anyone who have experience unexpectedly loosing the cookie (even before its expiry date) right before the transaction completes?

2. is there any tool/log on Google AdWords end/panel that records "anomaly" such as : tracking code fires but cookie wasn't present?

3. specifically what cookie (name) is generated / used by AdWords for tracking?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords cookie missing on checkout

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Although I am not a tech savvy guy, but I can tell you that the conversion tracking cookies are temporary and lasts for limited time period only.

There are some debugging tools available which can be used to see if your conversion tracking is implemented correctly or not. Here are more details around this: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722021

Also find more details around conversion tracking here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722022?hl=en

I hope this helps a bit!

Pankaj

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Kavyan,

Your questions are totally understandable given the complex nature of Google AdWords. I will try my best to answer them here:

1. have there been any instance or anyone who have experience unexpectedly loosing the cookie (even before its expiry date) right before the transaction completes?

Ideally such a scenario does not occur and is also unheard of. So unless and until the user deletes the AdWords cookie on purpose, you shouldnt see such scenarios in your account. Another reason could be that the user has opened your page in a incognito window, a lot is still unexplored when it comes to cookie data & incognito windows so this could be a possible scenario where cookie data is lost.

2. is there any tool/log on Google AdWords end/panel that records "anomaly" such as : tracking code fires but cookie wasn't present?

No, In my knowledge there isn't any such tool or log in AdWords interface that helps you with such data. Maybe you should try looking into Google Analytics to find out user behaviour on your website and take measure accordingly

3. specifically what cookie (name) is generated / used by AdWords for tracking?

As soon as a user clicks on your AdWords ad on the SERP, a GCLID is set for that particular user and the same is appended to your destination URL. Exampe - abcd.com/?gclid=123xyz

The GCLID is used to track & pass data between Google Adwords & Analytics and is also responsible for identifying a user who has clicked on your ad from a use who has come directly to your website. You should have the GCLID (auto tagging) option activated in your AdWords account to track all your user data.

You can read more about GCLID here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en

http://www.wordstream.com/gclid

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Kayvan B,

Maybe you can explain what data leads you to have these questions.

Are you using the AdWords conversion code or are you importing conversion data from Analytics?

If you are importing conversion data from Analytics, is the conversion action on the same domain as your landing page? If this is your case, you'll need implement cross-domain tracking for Analytics. If the conversion is on a different sub-domain, you could have a similar problem but the solution would be different.

If you are using the AdWords conversion code, it should always work as long as the cookie has not expired and the user has not deleted their cookie. There is no way to get a count of the number of times this code executes without finding the cookie. This all works with a 3rd party cookie. Most browsers have the option of disabling 3rd party cookies. If the user has this option selected, the conversion will not be recorded.

In the case of incognito sessions, the conversion would need to be completed in the same session. Cookies are set and delivered during incognito sessions, but all cookies are erased when the browser is closed. If the user comes back with a new incognito session, the AdWords cookie will not be present and the conversion will not be attributed to AdWords.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords