AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords conversion tracking not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I want to track contact form submissions for one of my sites. So I placed conversion tracking code in thank you page here

However in adwords interface I get the message that it is unverified. Also, I do not get the message in site which says "Google site stats".

Why?

I have placed the code correctly in thank you page.

How could I upload a screenshot here from tag manager?

Could you please help me with this? Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christina A
September 2015

Re: Adwords conversion tracking not working

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christina,

It seems to be working fine, when looking at it with tag assistant. That being said, is there a reason for having 2 conversions tracking codes and 3 remarketing codes?

AdWords will tell you that the code is unverified until there has been an action that fires the code. When did you place the code? Have there definitely been conversions on this page that came from Ads since then? If you have just placed the code then wait for a bit, the code will be verified as soon as there is a conversion.

Hope this helps.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clynton,

Thank you for your immediate response.

I can't see any indication of "conversion tracking" when looking at it from tag assistant. I only receive a message "remarketing tag (new) ID". Do you receive something else?

The code was placed a week ago, but the redirection to thank page was placed 2 days ago, so I guess it will only work correctly for the last 2 days. I have also set Goals in GA and saw that 2 visits to this thankyou page, came from adwords, so I should see the 2 conversions in Adwords interface too. But I don't.

Regarding the 2 different codes, we have to track conversions and apply remarketing from 2 different accounts, this is why we needed 2 IDs.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I see the same codes as @Clynton M  - screenshot attached.Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 13.20.49.png

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Christina,

I just had a look again to get a screen shot for you, but the conversion tracking is longer on that page. There are now 5 remarketing tags (3 are duplicates)!

PDDM tag assistant.PNG

I think, whoever is placing tracking codes on your pages may be a little confused as to what is happening. Not too sure why the conversion tracking is not there any more, but there were definitely 2 when I looked earlier.

*edit* I see Steve managed to get a screen shot of the 2 conversion codes from earlier, so my sanity is safe

As it is right now, no conversions will fire on this thank you page, maybe they have been moved to another page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Now I actually see conversion tracking messages in tag manager. Earlier, I could not. There is noone messing with the code in the website, maybe it is a fault by tag manager? The code has been there from the beginning.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
That was weird,

Just went back again and the conversion code is there this time, despite closing and refreshing the window earlier. Seems there was a tag assistant misread on my side with regards to the 5 remarketing tags.

It looks like it did originally look as seen in Steve's screen shot above.

But back to the issue. If traffic has only been going to this page for the last 2 days, then I would not stress out too much. Although you should see your conversions reflecting within 3 hours it may just be a bit delayed.

I would give it another day or 2 and then verify that conversion have happened while the code has been active if you are still not seeing conversions.

The other option is to link your GA and Adwords and import your goals into adowrds as conversions.

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Clynton.

I have already imported GA goals into adwords as conversions. But if actually conversion tracking works, will I see the same conversion counted twice (because the same conversion is both tracked in adwords and also imported as a goal from GA)?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad I could help

Using both can result in a double counting of conversions. So keep that in mind when you see Adwords conversion coming through.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Good point from @Clynton M - I inherited a client some time back who got really upset when his cost per conversion doubled immediately after hiring me....