AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords conversion dropped while direct traffic conversion increased

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

August 13th 2014 our Adwords Conversions suddenly dropped to zero while our Direct Traffic Conversions spiked proportionally. We did not change anything on the website or the account.

I know it sound odd but if someone has any idea on how this could have happened, that would be great.

We are currently investigating so will feedback once we isolate the issue.

Thanks,

David

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords conversion dropped while direct traffic conversion increas

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi David,

What's the average number of conversions you've been getting? If it has dropped from hundreds to zero, you might want to check if the website had any issues around that time or if your ads were serving on that day.

If the number has dropped from 5 or 10 to zero, it could be one bad day when none of your visitors have actually converted. As you may be knowing, conversions are directly related to user behavior which isn't that predictable all the time Smiley Happy

Let me know what comes up!

Best,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, David.

Sounds like a redirect happens on the landing page and the redirect does not pass neither the referrer nor the gclid which makes the traffic look as direct.

Can you check?
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David S,

I am assuming that things are back to normal and that this is just an isolated incident? Happened on one particular day?

The first thing to clarify, is that when you refer to direct traffic, you are actually referring to a direct typing in of your URL and not access through SERP(I have had misunderstandings when clients confuse the 2).

If your ads were running correctly during this period (I am assuming they were as you have not mentioned otherwise), the next question would be what kind of volumes are we talking about? If we are talking of thousands it becomes less likely but if we are talking of a few daily conversion even a few 10's of conversions then it may simply be an anomaly, attributed to an increase in brand awareness over time.

How long has our campaign been running? How large is your conversion window?
These will all make the above scenario more or less likely.

Just remember that it is possible to get 'heads' 100 times in a row when flipping a coin, just highly unlikely. A once off situation such as this may simply just be an anomaly. Obviously a 'audit' may reveal something, but don't be too stressed if you don't find anything and are not getting hundreds/thousands of conversions a day.

Let me know if you find anything!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Thank you for your helpful feedback. I believe this is due to the fact that the dev team moved the tracking code in the header instead of the body section of the page. We will amend and I will post results.

Thanks again

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Finally we simply re-activated an old Adwords Conversion Tag that was present on the page. Adwords is now tracking fine and we will replace the old GA with the new GA Universal Tracking which should solve the issue.

Thank you all for your help.