AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords conversion code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but,

If I use the adwords conversion code from my account on a different domain will it still track the conversions in adwords?

So for example my ads go to www.site1.com, however the conversion code sits on www.site2.com.

Many thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords conversion code

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello shanemansfield; welcome;

The conversion code is linked to your AdWords campaign, i.e.. to your destination URL

If you want to track conversations on other sites:  use Analytics.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Shane,

It is possible to track your conversions on a different domain, but it's not as simple as placing your conversion code on that site. The problem is, the code depends on a cookie that was issued on the first domain to record the conversion. That cookie will not be passed to the other domain, so it has to be done another way.

First, if the other domain is not using Google Analytics, it just isn't going to work because the solution to your problem actually lies there. I've posted this solution many times on this forum.  Take a look at this post:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Can-conversion-pixel-be-fired-on-a-domain-th...

I hope that clears it up for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your answer. I had a look at the thread and noticed this response under yours-

Google Employee
Dori

Hi taewoo,

If you're talking specifically about AdWords conversion tracking, then you are correct. AdWords will count a conversion if a user is "cookied" (by clicking on your ad) and then lands on any page with a conversion tracking pixel from your AdWords account.

Therefore, for example, if someone clicks your ad and lands on ABC.com and then goes to XYZ.com, assuming you've placed an AdWords conversion tracking pixel on XYZ.com, the conversion will be reported back to your AdWords account. This holds true whether the user who clicked your ad goes to XYZ.com immediately from ABC.com or anytime within 30 days of being cookied (assuming they do not clear their browser's cache and cookies).

Hope that helps!

Dori

THis has me confused as it indicates that it would track with just the conversion tag?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Shane,

I noticed that too. The information is contrary to how I thought things work. I've asked Google (and Dori) for clarification but haven't heard back from them/her yet.

I do know that the steps I've outlined for registering conversions on a "3rd party" site will work. I have my web sites set up this way and conversions are properly recorded. There may have been a change in the way this works. My set up is a couple years old.

If I hear anything I will let you know.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, it will track your conversions.