AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords conv code for ecommerce transactions & GA tracking code

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

i need to set up tracking for a client that sells thousands of products on their site. I am reading all about conversion tracking in adwords and also in google analytics (ecomm tracking). Is it the same different? and what do i need to do to make sure i am tracking purchases on all transactions made? Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff M
September 2015

Re: Adwords conv code for ecommerce transactions & GA tracking cod

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your posting. There's a great article thread that discusses the difference between Adwords and Analytics conversions. https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Difference-btwn-AdWords-Analytics-conversion...

For informations on how to link your Google Analytics and Adwords account, click on this link:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en

Hope this information helps out!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff,

John Paul has given you a good place to start.

I would definitely set up Analytics eCommerce and record each transaction. That will tell you what you are selling. All transactions will be recorded, not just paid. You can import the transactions as conversions. That way the numbers in Analytics will be the same, to a certain extent, in AdWords for paid conversions. But there is a delay of up to 24 hours in importing Analytics transactions or goals as conversions. You'll want to consider that when you make your decision. You don't have to import the transactions after recording them with Analytics.

You can place the AdWords Conversion Tracking Code on the thank you page, and have the shopping cart fill in the value of the sale (google_conversion_value). These get posted to your account quicker than importing Analytics data. If you use the AW code only, you will only get numbers for paid conversions. I don't think that's what you want.

So, I use them both, eCommerce transactions and the AW code, but I do not import the transactions as conversions. By reviewing the eCommerce transactions and segment for paid vs unpaid, I can tell exactly which transactions were the result of paid traffic.

If you set up Analytics Goals and you have the AW code on the last page, do not import those, either.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jeff,

John and Pete have provided you pretty much what is required. Just adding my 2 cents here -

It is recommended that you add both the adwords conversion code as well GA ecommerce code on the 'thank you' of your site when a purchase is made.
This will enable you to see which products are selling as well which terms/keywords are driving these sales.

Regards,
KC

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your posting. There's a great article thread that discusses the difference between Adwords and Analytics conversions. https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Difference-btwn-AdWords-Analytics-conversion...

For informations on how to link your Google Analytics and Adwords account, click on this link:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en

Hope this information helps out!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff,

John Paul has given you a good place to start.

I would definitely set up Analytics eCommerce and record each transaction. That will tell you what you are selling. All transactions will be recorded, not just paid. You can import the transactions as conversions. That way the numbers in Analytics will be the same, to a certain extent, in AdWords for paid conversions. But there is a delay of up to 24 hours in importing Analytics transactions or goals as conversions. You'll want to consider that when you make your decision. You don't have to import the transactions after recording them with Analytics.

You can place the AdWords Conversion Tracking Code on the thank you page, and have the shopping cart fill in the value of the sale (google_conversion_value). These get posted to your account quicker than importing Analytics data. If you use the AW code only, you will only get numbers for paid conversions. I don't think that's what you want.

So, I use them both, eCommerce transactions and the AW code, but I do not import the transactions as conversions. By reviewing the eCommerce transactions and segment for paid vs unpaid, I can tell exactly which transactions were the result of paid traffic.

If you set up Analytics Goals and you have the AW code on the last page, do not import those, either.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jeff,

John and Pete have provided you pretty much what is required. Just adding my 2 cents here -

It is recommended that you add both the adwords conversion code as well GA ecommerce code on the 'thank you' of your site when a purchase is made.
This will enable you to see which products are selling as well which terms/keywords are driving these sales.

Regards,
KC

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
thanks to everyone for the advice - very very helpful!

in terms of the 2 different codes - i think i understand AW conversion code for the purchase page but for GA ecomm it's a little more confusing - i am looking for dynamic code i can place on the 'thank you' page but it needs to be such that the transaction data recorded is varible - i.e. i cant put separate tracking code for each product since the ecomm site has thousands of products. it looks like on the following support page i would need to do that(?) Thanks!

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingEcommerce