AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords clicks not coming up in analytics, or in raw access logs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I hope someone can help.

I have been sending traffic from adwords to one of my site. Since I started the campaign I have been checking Analytics and raw access logs on my site. Normally I can see adwords traffic registering on Analytics and on the raw access logs - (urls beginning http://www.google.co.uk/aclk...).

Yesterday I had a number of Adwords clicks but nothing registered as coming from adwords on either analytics or raw access logs. Nothing. I got 1 user from an organic search result. Needless to say I had zero conversions!

I have traffic also coming from another source, and could see that traffic hitting the website.

Is there any explanation for this? Looks as though all my paid clicks from Adwords went down the pan yesterday.

Regards

Francis

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords clicks not coming up in analytics, or in raw access logs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

frankstar;

Have you properly linked AdWords and Analytics. ?

Follow instructions on in this discussion

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes - I look at analytics via my adwords account and linked them. I think that's what you mean...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Francis,

Yesterday I had a number of Adwords clicks but nothing registered as coming from adwords on either analytics or raw access logs. Nothing. I got 1 user from an organic search result. Needless to say I had zero conversions!

As per the above statement, it looks like you got a drop in the traffic for only one day i.e. yesterday and otherwise you are getting normal traffic and you are able to track that traffic inside GoogleAnalytics. (Please correct me if I am wrong here.)

Ok, when you went into Google Analytics,you said you got only one visit from organic. Apart from that, what was the traffic that was shown from other traffic sources like referral, direct etc..Was that traffic also shown very less?

Does Google Adwords showed clicks for yesterday and could you confirm if those clicks were the clicks to the website or simply click to calls. (This possibility arises if you have enabled call extensions for your account). You can check that be segmenting the data by click type. Now here, if majority are click to calls, please note that they won't be registered under Google Analytics because nobody landed on the website but users simply clicked on click to call functionality and some might have called you.

How many clicks it actually showed you for yesterday? Please note that the way Adwords record data and the way Analytics track it is totally different. Adwords relies on Clicks data and Analytics relies on visits data. Hence, sometimes you might get discrepancies in terms of data recorded by Adwords and Analytics which is but obvious.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Linking AdWords and Analytics

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You are saying :"Normally I can see adwords traffic registering on Analytics and on the raw access logs - (urls beginning http://www.google.co.uk/aclk...).

When you look at Analytics ; How do you normally recognize data shown on Analytics as AdWords originated traffic? (where do you look?)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks PAnkaj,

Clicks are only to a website, not to calls or anything like that.

The other traffic source had a pretty good day with a number of clikcs. Analytics did pick this up when I look at referrals, yes.

Yesterday I got 21 clicks from adwords, none were recorded on Analytics or raw access logs. I've had less clicks than this and more clicks than this in the past and have always seen something come up for analytics & the raw access logs. They don't always match, sometimes they are out a few clicks.

I have seen traffic coming in from adwords today - the campaign has only been running a few hours as I paused it. However, I have turned the other traffic source off.

Could Google be doing something?

Francis

Re: Linking AdWords and Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe -

I look at the Analytics "traffic sources overview" page. They normally match, give or take a couple of clicks. The adwords traffic seems to register under google for search traffic.

Francis

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Francis;

Under "traffic sources" ----> "search" ----> "campaigns", do you see your campaign listed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No I do not see that.

But you are not going to say that just because the campaign isn't listed means to say that the raw access logs + Google analytics before April 2nd and Google Analytics + access logs after 2nd april are wrong?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Did you enable auto tagging? 

In the AdWords user interface go to the MY ACCOUNT > PREFERENCES.

Check to see if auto tagging is set to YES.  It needs to be set to yes for the tagging to work and then you should see the AdWords data in analytics.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'