AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords clicks but no visitors according to Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have tried contacting adwords support about the issue and they have referred me to several very helpful articles, but I have not been able to resolve this issue.

Basically I have had several different days where adwords will show 5-20 clicks, but then I will go check analytics and it will show 0 visitors for those days.

1. My accounts are linked and autotagged

2. I understand that analytics shows unique visitors but I should have at least 1 visit even if someone clicks it multiple times.

3. This is not a one-time occurrence, and I have had back to back days with the issue, so should not be a timing issue.

Thanks for your time.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords clicks but no visitors according to Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi kkh05b,

The first thing to do here is make sure AdWords clicks will actually go to your page and not a "404 Page not found" error. Do this with a simple "gclid" test.

Some web sites do not allow "arbitrary" arguments in the URL. That means they will reject any URL with arguments (name value pairs) in the query string and instead return  a 404 page.

The test is simple, type your landing page URL into the address bar. If it's a plain HTML page, add "?gclid=alkjlkajsdfljk" to the address and navigate to the page. It doesn't matter what follows the equal (=) sign. If you get a 404 error, that's your answer. You may need to work with your webmaster or ISP to resolve this.

Ok, what if you did get to the page, what now? Now, make sure the Analytics code is properly placed on your landing page. Without that code, the page will not be tracked. Javascript syntax errors on the page before the Analytics code is loaded could prevent the script from running, so check for that as well.

If you have a Javascript console for your browser (like Firebug), use the console to check the values of the variables set in the tracking code. The variables should both exist and show the correct values. If they don't, there's a problem somewhere on the page. If you are using the asynch code, make sure it's in the first block of code in the head of your page so other errors on the page won't prevent it from running.

That's about all I have for you. Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply, I checked the "gclid" test and everything looks good there.

I downloaded firebug and it appears that the asynch code is present.

<script type="text/javascript" async="" src="http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js">

I would also like to point out that most days I do get traffic and I understand why the numbers do not equal. Its just the extreme examples of like 20 clicks to zero visits that make me worry. I've also checked to make sure that the website was indeed up with no downtime.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

Can you check with Google Tag assistant if your codes are firing correctly on landing page?

If you still face issues please post URL here

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, I tried the Google Tag assistant like you suggested. It looks like the tags show up on all of my landing pages. There are two pages on my website that don't have a tag on them. But I don't use either of these two pages as landing pages anyway.

www.kimberlysmithrealestate.com

If you need to click on an ad to help with the troubleshooting please feel free. Use "Abilene Real Estate" as your search term (it should be the cheapest Smiley Wink).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bump. 

Still having the issue any other suggestions?

Sorry it's just frustrating as a small business owner to see all these clicks but then not see any page views as a result. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi kkh05b,

I took a quick look at your site. Everything looks ok from here. I did notice one link to "/index.php?page_id=2" on your home page. That's a 301 redirect to another named page. The redirect seems to be done correctly, forwarding the gclid value to the new page. Are you using the index.php links or the named page?

Which page is your landing page?

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply,

As for the landing pages, I use the home page, about me, and your home value as the landing pages depending on the ad. 

As for the /index.php... I will explain this the best I can this is my weak spot on web design.  Anyway I had originally tried to link straight into a report from a program called netreis. Long story short it didn't work so I had to frame the page into my website and the old page is supposed to forward to this new one. 

Hope I answered that clearly, I'm self taught and used a company to help with the website coding so I have very little technical knowledge on this subject. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi kkh05b,

I understand all that. For your destination URL, is it www.kimberlysmithrealestate.com or is it www.kimberlysmithrealestate.com ?

Quite honestly, I'm stumped at this point.

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry I can't tell a difference between the two addresses you linked mentioned above. Though the address should be www.kimberlysmithrealestate.com. 

I have one idea though and I don't see why it would be correct but I thought I would throw it out there. 

I have my ads showing up on both google search and the display networks. For the display networks I put in a much lower bid with max 10 cents and I can't help but notice that the days when I have the biggest discrepancy between Adwords and analytics  it appears that most of my ads are run cheaply such as an average of say 9 cents. 

Could it be a problem with just the display network ads?