AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords and Analytics and quality score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Advice Please, Here's the Scenario...

I am the in-house web developer for a small business with an e-commerce website. Our Adwords is managed by a third party business and the Adwords account is linked to my Analytics so I can access some of the Adwords information, but I can't log on to Adwords to see it all. I understand that it's protecting the third parties work but two things have created frustration.

1. I can't get the Google Quality Score on my keywords or, more importantly, the Adgroups Landing Pages in Analytics (Not that I can find anyway). As the web developer and the business that's paying for Adwords it would be nice to be able to monitor these values and make changes to the website to improve performance and get the most from our Adwords budget. My Adwords manager will send me a report on request but this isn't adequate when the site is changing daily.

2. Our Adwords managers and I have tried a number of times to link the Adwords e-commerce data to my Analytics account with code snippets, etc. but it's never worked. What could be the potential issues? Could the fact that they are using proprietary software to manage the bidding process effect this? Any advice at this time would be helpful

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords and Analytics and quality score

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
1. The short answer is that you should have access to the AdWords account. Getting someone new to manage it is my recommendation.

In the Reports section of AdWords it is quite easy to create a Quality Score report, and it can be sent daily to any email address that is a user of the account. Your manager can simply send it to themselves and make a rule to forward it to you.

QS is not viewable in Analytics, and in AdWords it is only provided on demand. No historical data is kept.

2. Bidding has no effect on recording conversions or ecommerce data. The problem will be with the coding.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
You're comparing apples to oranges in this case.

As Rob pointed out: QS only exists in the AdWords UI, and QS is calculated for every potential ad impression, using every potential QS formula variable, from every potential advertiser. QS should be the last of your concerns, but Google keep convincing new advertisers that's all there is to AdWords. Smiley Happy

There are no landing pages for Adgoups. Landing pages are set at the ad level (or potentially KW level), not the adgroup level.

If you have ecommerce setup for analytics, then link your AdWords and analytics accounts, and import your analytics ecommerce transactions as AdWords conversions. There is no reason to create AdWords conversions using AdWords conversion code if you already have analytics ecommerce and linked accounts. You will get the cost data pulled through from AdWords (enable auto-tagging), and there are various levels of ROAS reports you can run.

Bids have nothing to do with your concerns. Bids do not in any way affect account linking, data sharing, conversion/ecommerce tracking, etc.

You should own your own AdWords account, control your own billing, and an actual professional should have a My Client Center to manage clients accounts through. You tell me the account number, I send you an invitation to join my MCC, and you accept that invitation in the account settings. You can remove the MCC/manger access at any time, view/edit any level of the account, and you can always go into the change history reports to see who did what when.

However, as an experienced account manager/advertiser I can say that one of the worst things a client can do is go into their account and start making changes. If I'm managing it, I'm responsible for it. If a client has questions or concerns, we discuss it. But, I can't be held responsible for the account performance if I have no control over it. Smiley Happy

It definitely sounds like you have a bad player that you're dealing with. If for no other reason than they have never even bother trying to communicate with you about these basic principles of online advertising and ecommerce value tracking.

When viewing your source/medium reports in analytics, do you see google/cpc as a source?
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom and Rob,

As a reference my website is "https://www.hondashop.com.au". No Apples or Oranges here but a very diverse product range. Sorry if my Adgroups / Landing Pages terminology was incorrect but it's loosely structured like that.

We have 12 Adgroups each with a multitude of Keywords but some of the smaller groups have just the one landing page, others have a few. Eg: Adgroup - Pressure Cleaners, 40 keywords, 1 landing page - hondashop.com.au/power_equipment/pressure_cleaners/ alt. Adgroup - Accessories, 140 Keywords, 3 landing pages (and probably should be more).

I'm not looking to rely on QS but it's sounds like a reasonable marker to add to my arsenal of data helping inform my decisions. Information is Power!

My analytics is populated, just no e-commerce - It's turned on and the Adwords account is linked but no data is coming through. Sounds Like I need to gain control of Adwords regardless of who manages it. From what I can tell our CTR and CPC are reasonably good in comparison in an Australian market. (Tried to include a screen shot of my analytics but it would work - Invalid HTML apparently).

Thanks for this discussion. Knowing these things makes me a better developer and content creator.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Karl,

If you are using WooCommerce, then use their official Analytics plugin:
https://en-au.wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-google-analytics-integration/

Tick the box for ecommerce and you should have sales data going forward.

If not already, look into Google Shopping to promote the products.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rob

Hopefully I will see something in the next 24 hours

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
Now that we have some more information about the business, let's back up a bit. This is not what I would consider an "ecommerce site". Yes, you are selling some parts and accessories through an online shopping cart, but at the end of the day this is a brick and mortar business. An auto/vehicle dealership no less... Which, is a completely different form of customer acquisition and business model than solely online sales.

You're a dealer, you are selling service, quality, and experience. Not price and availability. You can't compete with Amazon and the like in those areas. You are looking for customers to come into the shop, speak with the sales staff, and make a high value purchase.

The advertising should be focused first and foremost on your brand, and the fact that you are an authorized dealer of genuine Honda products. That's two campaigns, one adgroup per, a handful of keywords, and two to three ads per adgroup (the same 2-3 ads in each adgroup) at most. Start with that, get all the data tracking tools/linking in place, then use actual market research to make educated decisions, and expand from there.

At this stage of the game the worst thing you can do for yourself is bother about best practices or keyword quality score. You need to build a solid foundation before you worry about the decor.

Is this your top selling product?

https://www.hondashop.com.au/product/adventure-tourers/honda-cb500xa/

If so, it's exactly where it should be in your website taxonomy. If not, then why is this the most prevalent product shown on the homepage?

That's the kind of analysis you can and should be doing in your current position, regardless of AdWords, or advertising messaging, strategy or tactics. Yes, you can and should have ownership of your AdWords account. No, you are not dealing with an honest broker. But, it takes years to learn this stuff, and account management is a full time job in and of itself. Your account manager should be having this kind of business conversation with you, then using their skills as a marketer to create a strategy, and use tactics that meet your business goals. You should be supporting them by following the market research data they provide you to make the changes (if/when needed) to the site, and business/business model as a whole, to further improve profitability.

I apologize if I am being argumentative or coming off as preachy or the like. Smiley Happy It just irks my tater when I see honest, established, businesses like this have these kind of horrible experiences. Smiley Happy

Thanks for putting up with me Karl.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tom, I appreciate your feedback. We're getting off topic a bit but it's all interesting. Let me frame things a little better.

I'm just a curious person and when I see something I wasn't aware of that might be to our advantage, like QS, I have to know what it is and whether or not we can use it. I'm certainly not resting our success on it but if I can tweak something for better results I will.

Honda is no doubt a great brand name (to our advantage), Honda Australia are responsible for advertising here and probably don't do enough, but our Honda Shop has been here for 40 years. So branding, although never neglected is quite solid.

The Honda Shop is a complex beast with Motorcycles, Power Equipment, Service, Parts and Accessories with the last 2 the focus of our e-commerce and areas that could definitely improve.

With whole goods, Honda Australia release specials every month (motorcycles) and 3 months (power equipment). So these specials, like the CB500X, along with any new model announcements, will be favoured heavily on the website in conjunction with social media / e-newsletters / emails / sms / print / radio (Yes will still do some tradition media - but that's another story). The website is very dynamic - it changes every day. Since the new site went live about a year ago we have more than doubled our audience.

So getting back to Adwords and Analytics. It's sounds like simplifying things maybe a good idea - I'm all for that. When I get a chance in the next couple of weeks I will re-assess and try again to convince the boss to change our Adwords managers.

Thanks for Your and Rob's Feedback. I won't take up any more of your time.

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
"Honda Australia are responsible for advertising here..." That's a concern...

Which, leads me back to brand terms / the business/dealership. Does Honda "own" THS as part of the dealership/franchise agreement? Where is the gray area?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How's This? Motorbikes is a dealership, Power Equipment is a franchise. What I understand is that the only thing Honda own (besides the name and how we use it) is the floor stock.

Honda Australia is responsible for advertising Honda Products in Australia rather than Honda International. "Lawnmower, $300 cash back from Honda this July, See your local dealer". That kind of thing.

What we do is make sure that when people think of their local Honda dealer they think of us. And for the most part they do.