AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords ad group conversion and extension conversion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've got a question about tracking conversions in combination with the adwords extensions.  I can't seem to find the answer on the internet.

I've got two extensions for one ad group. I've been noticing that both extensions generate the same or closely the same conversions, although the message is slightly different. 

Is this a coincidence? Is this a bug? Or is this normal? Or is there another explination?

Thank you.

Greetings,

Jeltje

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords ad group conversion and extension conversion

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jeltje,

The extension performance shows the performance of an ad as a whole when the extension shows. Likely what is happening is that, since you only have two extensions, when one displays they likely both display.

In summary, if they are both showing together, they are showing the same performance because the statistics are for the whole ad unit.

Does that make sense?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jeltje,

Before we get into this there is one particular piece of information that is necessary to understand what you are seeing and how to ensure you are making the correct decision when it comes to sitelinks.

That question is:
Exactly where are you getting your sitelink information from? And I mean exactly, if possible share a screen shot, otherwise a simple step by step walk through of where you go for this information.

The reason I ask is because disseminating sitelink statistics is a complicated process and most people take what they are seeing at face value, when the number reflected in each screen are not what they assume.

I shall await your reply
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeltje V
September 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Jeltje,

I'd suggest segmenting the data by click type, under the ads tab to understand if conversions actually came from ads or extensions. That would give you a clear picture about conversions from ads and extensions. Please follow this article for more info on segmenting data.

Feel free to write back with questions.

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeltje V
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jeltje,

I will go into extension analysis here and try not get to carried away, as a stated earlier it is a rather complicated beast and many account managers do not realise the extent with which you can analyse extensions.

Given the nature of your question, I am believe Amy has addressed your question. Extensions can be analysed on 3 levels, and should be done so on all 3 as their effect may not be apparent without a complete analysis. These levels are available at account, campaign and ad group level.

The first level for extensions is simply to have the component of your account selected that you wish to analyse (in your case ad group). If you go to the extensions tab and make sure you are looking at the sitelink extension data this will give you a top level view of the numbers.

As Amy pointed out. This level of analysis gives you the numbers for each sitelink when it was present, NOT sitelink specific statistics. So if you only have 2 sitelinks present it is likely that they were both shown in the majority of cases and therefore their number would be very similar if not exactly the same. This numbers correspond to the ad as a complete entity, and thus will often be larger than account numbers.

For example if you have 100 clicks on your ad and it was always in position 1 and always was showing both sitelinks, then your sitelinks at this level will both reflect 100 clicks for a total of 200 clicks.

At the next level, which is pointed out by Sumanth, you can segment your sitelinks by click type. This will give you a more granular view of sitelink data, but this data is again NOT sitelink specific. This segmentation will give you the data that corresponds to each type of click, for example: Headline, Sitelink, Call extension. This data like the previous section is an amalgamation of all sitelink clicks when that sitelink was present. So it is not the data for that specific sitelink but for all sitelinks that were available when that sitelink was shown.

The third and deepest level of analysis for sitelinks is another segmentation, and is called This vs Other. This is the most granular form of data and is the exact statistics for the sitelink in questions. So this data will tell you exactly how many people clicked/converted etc there were for each sitelink in your account at the level (ad group/campaign/account) that you are looking at.

That is a brief explanation of the sitelink data available to you. Use this data at will, but it is worth noting that 'judging' a sitelink at only one level (even the most granular) is incorrect as sitelinks have an impact at all levels of your ad. So a particular sitelink that has a very low CTR (do not be surprised by 0.12% CTR on a 7% ad) may in fact be boosting the overall CTR of the ad, while not getting clicks itself. So an analysis of all three levels is suggested.

Hope this helps

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clinton,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out and making me understand how the extensions are structured. I understand that when I'm analysing my extensions data the answer isn't straight forward, but I have to look at more components.

Thanks to everybody!

Greetings,
Jeltje

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad I could help! Good Luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Sumanth,

It's some while ago, but I was researching sitelinks again and your answer is really helpful. Just os you know :-).

Kind regards,
Jeltje

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Glad I could help Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar