AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Traffic tracked as organic in GA

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

We were running an A/B Experiment to test the landing pages of Google Shopping campaigns. 50% (the control group) was redirected to another page. Unfortunately, while redirecting, the URL-parameters got lost and therefore all the UTM tages.

In GA we see that all those visits come in as organic traffic. How can this be possible, I actually expected this to be picked up as direct traffic in Google Analytcs, because there is no UTM information..

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ricardo, 

If you haven't linked your AdWords account with Analytics, any traffic from AdWords will be classed as organic since it came from a search engine.

See more about linking here -https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en-GB 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @ricardo_W

Have you confirmed in your account settings that you have set up auto-tagging for your urls? Also, linking your AdWords and Google Analytics accounts is also a key action to take.

In addition, does the experiment send users to a different domain? Redirects are a bad idea if they are not necessary as well (if they are not requisite for conversion tracking in a conversion funnel).

Let me know if this helps!

Nick

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Actually this happened to me. I already linked my Analytics to my AdWords acct. last week and still the same.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, 

Thanks for all your replies!

Yes, accounts are linked. We lose the URL parameters through the redirect, which contain the information of the source / medium / campaign. I can imagine, this messes up tracking. What I can not figure out yet, is why this traffic is seen as organic and not as direct. How does GA know these visits come from a search engine when there is no information stored in the URL?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ricardo W
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Ricardo W,

GA id's paid AdWords traffic by either the gclid or by utm_* parameters in the query string. If you're losing the query string in the redirect, it's unable to attribute traffic. The referrer data will still look like the traffic came from Google, so it's attributed as organic.

You really need to fix the redirect to include the query string.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords