AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Telephone Number Forwarding not working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, I've been at this a few hours and making very slow progress here.

We have an Adwords campaign running and we are looking to get different numbers running on our site, so we can accurately track success.

We don't just have a single number , we have 10 different numbers for 10 different locations to where we can provide services for. This could be an issue?

The Tracking seems to be in place but we only have 3 conversions over the last month and there should be more.

I've tried the debugging option which is quite handy - If anyone else is struggling with this then I would definitely try it. Just add on #google-wcc-debug to the end of your url!

This comes back with:adwords-forwarding-2017.png

I''m sure that the class is okayed set up correctly, but another query I had was that the phone number was scattered across the landing page and there are 5 cta's with the number.

I've been clearing my cookies and clicking from the Adwords ads in the Adwords control panel. Not a live ad, is that something that helps debug this?

Any help greatly appreciated. John.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John,

Even if you have every number set up as a call extension in AdWords, you can only use one phone number per web page for call forwarding. If there are multiple numbers and they are using the class "number", my understanding is that only the first one on the page will change.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob, Thanks for the reply.

Sorry that wasn't clear, there are 10 different numbers for 10 different landing pages.

Any other ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

John,

If each landing page has only one number, and you have created a call extension for that number, and the click comes from an ad group with that call extension - it should work.

But if the same number appears multiple times on the page, it will only work for the first instance. Well that was the case until the recent code update, I haven't tested it recently.

The find out, click on your ad and see. Yes, you will pay for a click, so use your cheapest keyword.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi John M,

Rob gave you a great answer. The message you are seeing means you haven't clicked on your ad. Clicking on it in the Adwords control panel won't do it.

Since it's not a live ad, you will need to make it live to test it out. If it has been approved, make it active, do searches until you see your ad. Click on your ad, then go back to AW and pause the ad.

You should then be able to successfully test the phone number script.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords