AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Paid & Organic Report - Methodology Change??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did the methodology for determining Organic Average Position in the 'Paid + Organic Report' in AdWords change in the late February/March timeframe of 2014? The report began showing notable changes in Organic Average Position starting in March but they do not seem to be true based on many manual searches as well as comparing to 3rd party Organic rank tracking software we utilize. We have also checked Google WMT and do not see the rank changes in there. Either the AdWords report is incorrect or perhaps Google started tabulating Position differently based on the presence of Local Carousel, organic Sitelinks, Knowledge Graph or applied some kind of weighed methodology?

Many thanks,
Jeremy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Paid & Organic Report - Methodology Change??

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for posting! I have checked the technical updates sent in the last few months and can't see anything relating to a change in the Paid & Organic report metrics. Nothing suggests that the average position calculation has been changed.

So I'm not entirely sure why you'd be seeing this discrepancy. Has anyone else in the Community noticed similar activity?  

Re: Adwords Paid & Organic Report - Methodology Change??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How was that report helping you in the first place? I would look at PPC traffic and Organic traffic using seperate tools just to be on the safe side.

Another thing that might be happening is that you could be cannabilizing your organic traffic with paid ads geared at the same organic keywords you are ranking for.